- 85 gram packet raspberry jelly crystals
- 1/4 cup (30g) custard powder
- 1/4 cup (55g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup (375ml) milk
- 150 gram sponge cake
- 825 gram canned sliced peaches, drained
- 1 2/3 cup (410ml) thickened (heavy) cream
- 2 tablespoon flaked almonds, roasted
- 1Follow the instructions on the packet to make the jelly, pour it into a shallow container. Put the jelly in the fridge for about 20 minutes or until it is set to the consistency of unbeaten egg white.
- 2Put the custard powder, sugar, vanilla extract and a little of the milk into a small saucepan, mix them together with a wooden spoon. Stir in the rest of the milk. Turn the stove on to medium and stir the mixture with a wooden spoon until it boils and thickens. Take the saucepan off the heat. Press a piece of plastic wrap onto the top of the custard (this stops a skin from forming), leave it to cool down.
- 3Use a 4cm (1½-inch) round cutter to cut eight rounds from the sponge cake. Put cake rounds into the bottom of eight 1½-cup (375ml) glasses. Pour the jelly over the cake, put the glasses in the fridge for 15 minutes. Take glasses out of the fridge, put the drained peaches on top. Stir ⅓ cup of the cream into the cold custard. Pour the custard over the peaches.
- 4Put the rest of the cream in a small bowl, beat with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Spoon the whipped cream over the custard, sprinkle with almonds. Put the trifles in the fridge for 3 hours or overnight.
We cut the rounds of sponge cake big enough to cover the bottom of our serving glasses. Depending on the shape of the serving glasses you use, you may need a bigger or smaller cutter.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Easy combination fried riceYesterday 3:00am
- Chocolate chip cookiesYesterday 1:21am
- Pulled salmon tortillas with red cabbage slawJun 20, 2021
- Corned beef and red cabbage sandwichJun 20, 2021
- Potato and leek soupJun 20, 2021
- Spaghetti carbonara with peasJun 20, 2021
- Our best brussels sprouts recipesJun 20, 2021
- Miso noodle hotpotJun 20, 2021
- Cheesy polenta and sausage bakeJun 20, 2021
- Mini chicken and leek piesJun 20, 2021
- Savoury pie recipes that will feed the familyJun 20, 2021
- Easy risotto recipesJun 19, 2021
- Our best pancakes recipeJun 19, 2021
- 23 luscious lamb recipes for your slow cookerJun 19, 2021
- Indian roasted tomatoes, chickpeas and chilliJun 19, 2021