Classic tomato pizza sauce
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 clove garlic, finely diced
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1 tin whole peeled diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 large sprigs basil, plus extra if desired
- sea salt and cracked pepper
- 1Heat the oil in a medium saucepan and saute the onion and garlic over a gentle heat for 4-5 minutes until softened and fragrant.
- 2Add the wine and let reduce and evaporate, then add tomatoes, tomato paste, water, sugar, basil and seasoning. Simmer for 15 minutes until thick and saucy.
- 3Remove the basil leaves after cooking – add fresh shredded basil to the sauce once it’s cooled if desired.
This is my basic pizza sauce – of course, you can use a supermarket brand but this is easy! You can even make a double batch and freeze it for convenience. It also makes a great base for other sauces or add meat for a pizza pie filling.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Easy hot cross bunsToday 5:00pm
- Salted honeycombToday 1:00pm
- Tuna mornayToday 12:00am
- Flourless cakesYesterday 11:39pm
- White sauceYesterday 1:00pm
- Dinner date recipes to impressYesterday 5:50am
- The big chocolate cookieYesterday 5:26am
- Princess-themed birthday cakesYesterday 3:28am
- 100 years of Australian dinnersYesterday 1:19am
- Vietnamese lemongrass chicken bowlMar 30, 2020
- Coconut dessert recipesMar 30, 2020
- Fast dessertsMar 30, 2020
- Lebanese recipesMar 30, 2020
- Cheesy tuna pasta bakeMar 30, 2020
- Our unbeatable lemon curd recipeMar 30, 2020
- Quick versions of your favourite dessert recipesMar 30, 2020