Classic tomato pizza sauce
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 clove garlic, finely diced
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1 tin whole peeled diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 large sprigs basil, plus extra if desired
- sea salt and cracked pepper
- 1Heat the oil in a medium saucepan and saute the onion and garlic over a gentle heat for 4-5 minutes until softened and fragrant.
- 2Add the wine and let reduce and evaporate, then add tomatoes, tomato paste, water, sugar, basil and seasoning. Simmer for 15 minutes until thick and saucy.
- 3Remove the basil leaves after cooking – add fresh shredded basil to the sauce once it’s cooled if desired.
This is my basic pizza sauce – of course, you can use a supermarket brand but this is easy! You can even make a double batch and freeze it for convenience. It also makes a great base for other sauces or add meat for a pizza pie filling.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Delicious pasta salad recipes to look forward toOct 14, 2021
- Quiche LorraineOct 13, 2021
- Mixed berry crumbleOct 13, 2021
- Seafood chowderOct 13, 2021
- Orange cake recipe collectionOct 13, 2021
- Kumara pancakes with maple yoghurtOct 13, 2021
- 34 fabulous friand recipesOct 13, 2021
- 25 ravioli recipesOct 13, 2021
- Creamy chicken kormaOct 13, 2021
- Kumara and coconut tarts with pecan toffeeOct 13, 2021
- 32 brilliant blueberry dessertsOct 12, 2021
- Beetroot, blackberry yoghurt popsiclesOct 12, 2021
- Spicy fruit mince pillowsOct 12, 2021