One of the, many, great things about a classic steamed Christmas pudding is that you can get all of the cooking and steaming out of the way ahead of time and reheat in the microwave when you're ready to eat.
Steamed Christmas pudding
- 1 1/2 cup (250 grams) raisins, chopped
- 1 1/2 cup (250 grams) sultanas
- 1 1/4 cup (185 grams) currants
- 1 cup (170 grams) mixed peel
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon brandy (see note)
- 250 gram butter, chopped
- 2 1/2 cup (500 grams) firmly packed brown sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1 1/4 cup (185 grams) plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon mixed spice
- 4 cup (280 grams) stale breadcrumbs
Steamed christmas pudding
- 1In a large bowl, combine the fruit, juice and brandy; mix well. Cover, stand overnight or up to a week.
- 2In a large bowl using an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar until just combined. Add eggs, one at a time; beat until just combined between additions. Add butter mixture to fruit mixture, then stir in combined sifted flour and spices, then breadcrumbs; mix well.
- 3Grease a pudding steamer (2 litre/8-cup capacity), line base with baking paper. Spoon mixture into steamer. Place 30cm x 40cm sheet of foil on bench, grease foil; top with a sheet of baking paper. Fold a 5cm pleat crossways through the centre of both sheets.
- 4Place sheets, baking paper-side-down, over steamer, secure with lid or string. Make handle with excess string. Crush surplus foil and baking paper firmly around rim to help form a good seal.
- 5Place the pudding in a large boiler with enough boiling water to come halfway up the side of steamer. Cover the boiler with a tight-fitting lid; steam 6 hours. Replenish with boiling water as necessary to maintain boil and water level during cooking. Stand the pudding 15 minutes before turning out.
You can substitute 2 teaspoons Queen brandy essence with 1 1/2 tablespoons apple or orange juice for brandy. Not suitable to microwave.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Vegan roastYesterday 11:59pm
- 4 ways with roast potatoesYesterday 1:00pm
- Summer stone fruit pandoro puddingDec 13, 2019
- Rosé and raspberry trifleDec 13, 2019
- Gingerbread gift boxesDec 12, 2019
- A very vegetarian ChristmasDec 12, 2019
- Salt and vinegar roast potatoesDec 12, 2019
- DukkahDec 11, 2019
- Mocha mi suDec 11, 2019
- Santa saladDec 11, 2019
- Crackling hamDec 11, 2019
- Sausage rollsDec 11, 2019
- Rich chocolate fudge recipeDec 10, 2019
- Classic roast chicken with gravyDec 10, 2019