One of the, many, great things about a classic steamed Christmas pudding is that you can get all of the cooking and steaming out of the way ahead of time and reheat in the microwave when you're ready to eat.
Steamed Christmas pudding
- 1 1/2 cup (250 grams) raisins, chopped
- 1 1/2 cup (250 grams) sultanas
- 1 1/4 cup (185 grams) currants
- 1 cup (170 grams) mixed peel
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon brandy (see note)
- 250 gram butter, chopped
- 2 1/2 cup (500 grams) firmly packed brown sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1 1/4 cup (185 grams) plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon mixed spice
- 4 cup (280 grams) stale breadcrumbs
Steamed christmas pudding
- 1In a large bowl, combine the fruit, juice and brandy; mix well. Cover, stand overnight or up to a week.
- 2In a large bowl using an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar until just combined. Add eggs, one at a time; beat until just combined between additions. Add butter mixture to fruit mixture, then stir in combined sifted flour and spices, then breadcrumbs; mix well.
- 3Grease a pudding steamer (2 litre/8-cup capacity), line base with baking paper. Spoon mixture into steamer. Place 30cm x 40cm sheet of foil on bench, grease foil; top with a sheet of baking paper. Fold a 5cm pleat crossways through the centre of both sheets.
- 4Place sheets, baking paper-side-down, over steamer, secure with lid or string. Make handle with excess string. Crush surplus foil and baking paper firmly around rim to help form a good seal.
- 5Place the pudding in a large boiler with enough boiling water to come halfway up the side of steamer. Cover the boiler with a tight-fitting lid; steam 6 hours. Replenish with boiling water as necessary to maintain boil and water level during cooking. Stand the pudding 15 minutes before turning out.
You can substitute 2 teaspoons Queen brandy essence with 1 1/2 tablespoons apple or orange juice for brandy. Not suitable to microwave.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Cider-braised pork with applesApr 30, 2021
- Lentil and vegetable soupApr 30, 2021
- Chicken paprikashApr 30, 2021
- Cheesy eggplant and lentil bakeApr 30, 2021
- Beef and mushroom stewApr 30, 2021
- Ratatouille bake with cauliflower bechamelApr 30, 2021
- Warming vegetarian stews and casserolesApr 16, 2021
- Potato recipesApr 16, 2021
- Savoury pie recipes that will feed the familyApr 16, 2021
- Melting momentsApr 15, 2021
- Our classic pavlova recipeApr 15, 2021
- 26 easy beef stews and casserolesApr 15, 2021
- 19 of our tastiest savoury tartsApr 15, 2021
- Garlic and rosemary focacciaApr 15, 2021
- Salted caramelsApr 15, 2021