Classic roast chicken
- 40 gram butter
- 2 bacon rashers, finely chopped
- 1 small leek, thinly sliced
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 140 gram (2 cups) stale breadcrumbs
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon roughly chopped sage leaves
- 1.8 kilogram corn fed whole chicken
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 kilogram (6) brushed potatoes, washed and halved
- 2 tablespoon plain flour
- 500 millilitre (2 cups) chicken stock
Classic roast chicken
- 1Melt butter in a frying pan on medium heat. Add bacon, leek and celery, and cook until vegetables are tender. Cool. Transfer to a bowl, add breadcrumbs, egg and sage leaves, and mix to combine.
- 2Preheat oven to 200°C.
- 3Clean chicken briefly under cold running water and pat dry, inside and out, using paper towel. Tuck wing tips under chicken, trim skin around neck and secure to underside of chicken with toothpicks.
- 4Fill cavity with breadcrumb mixture and tie legs together with kitchen string. Place chicken on an oiled wire rack in a large, flameproof roasting pan. Rub chicken all over with half of oil and cook in oven, uncovered, for 1 1/2 hours.
- 5Boil, steam or microwave potatoes for 5 minutes, then drain. Toss with remaining oil in a large, shallow roasting pan and cook in oven, uncovered, alongside chicken for 1 hour, turning occasionally. Remove chicken from oven and cover to keep warm.
- 6Increase oven temperature to 220°C. Cook potatoes, uncovered, for another 15 minutes, until golden and crisp.
- 7Drain all but 2 tablespoons of chicken juices from baking dish and heat dish on medium. Add flour and cook, stirring, until mixture thickens and bubbles. Gradually add stock and 1 cup water, stirring until gravy boils and thickens. Strain into a large jug.
- 8Serve chicken with stuffing, potatoes and gravy.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Classic lamingtonsJan 25, 2020
- Lamington popsJan 25, 2020
- Chilli con carneYesterday 1:15am
- What's in season in January?Jan 20, 2020
- Chilli con capsicumJan 19, 2020
- Gai lan and mushroom five-spice stir-fryJan 19, 2020
- Churros with hot chocolateJan 16, 2020
- Bourbon & molasses barbecue sauceJan 16, 2020
- Ricotta cheesecake with mangoJan 16, 2020
- Passionfruit cheesecake sliceJan 15, 2020
- Crab and zucchini spaghettiJan 15, 2020
- Prawn cocktail platterJan 15, 2020
- Quick three-cheese frittataJan 15, 2020
- Paprika chicken with chilli sauceJan 15, 2020
- Chicken skewers with green olive dressingJan 15, 2020