- 2 eggplants, sliced thinly
- 1 tablespoon coarse cooking salt
- 1/4 cup (60ml) olive oil
- 1 brown onion, chopped finely
- 2 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 kilogram minced lamb
- 410 gram canned crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup (125ml) dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup (20g) finely grated parmesan cheese
- 90 gram butter
- 1/3 cup (50g) plain flour
- 2 cup (500ml) milk
- 1Place eggplant in colander, sprinkle all over with salt; stand 30 minutes. Rinse under cold water; drain. Pat dry with absorbent paper.
- 2Heat oil in large frying pan; cook eggplant, in batches, until browned both sides; drain on absorbent paper.
- 3Cook onion and garlic in same pan, stirring, until onion softens. Add lamb; cook, stirring, until lamb changes colour. Stir in undrained tomatoes, wine and cinnamon; bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, about 30 minutes or until liquid has evaporated.
- 4Meanwhile, preheat oven to 180ºC/350°F. Oil shallow 2-litre (8-cup) rectangular baking dish.
- 5Make white sauce. Melt butter in medium saucepan. Add flour; cook, stirring, until mixture thickens and bubbles. Gradually add milk; stir until mixture boils and thickens.
- 6Place a third of the eggplant, overlapping slices slightly, in prepared dish; spread half of the meat sauce over eggplant. Repeat layering with another third of the eggplant, remaining meat sauce and remaining eggplant. Spread white sauce over top layer of eggplant; sprinkle with cheese. Cook, uncovered, in oven about 40 minutes or until top browns lightly. Cover moussaka; stand 10 minutes before serving.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Cider-braised pork with applesApr 30, 2021
- Lentil and vegetable soupApr 30, 2021
- Chicken paprikashApr 30, 2021
- Cheesy eggplant and lentil bakeApr 30, 2021
- Beef and mushroom stewApr 30, 2021
- Ratatouille bake with cauliflower bechamelApr 30, 2021
- Warming vegetarian stews and casserolesYesterday 2:00pm
- Potato recipesYesterday 6:40am
- Savoury pie recipes that will feed the familyYesterday 4:02am
- Melting momentsApr 15, 2021
- Our classic pavlova recipeApr 15, 2021
- 26 easy beef stews and casserolesApr 15, 2021
- 19 of our tastiest savoury tartsApr 15, 2021
- Garlic and rosemary focacciaApr 15, 2021
- Salted caramelsApr 15, 2021