- 1 kilogram desiree or spunta potatoes, peeled, chopped coarsely
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 60 gram butter, softened
- 2/3 cup (160ml) milk
- salt and pepper
- 1Place potatoes in a medium saucepan, cover with cold water. Add salt to pan. Bring to the boil, then simmer, uncovered, for about 10 minutes or until tender.
- 2Drain potatoes, return to dry pan. Cook potatoes over low or residual heat, 30 seconds, to remove moisture, shaking the pan to ensure they don't stick to the base.
- 3Mash the potatoes using a masher or ricer, or push them through a sieve into a large bowl, using the back of a wooden spoon. Stir in butter until combined.
- 4Heat milk in a small saucepan or in the microwave until just below boiling. Gradually add hot milk to potato, beat with a wooden spoon until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
Make some flavour variations by mashing through some roasted garlic, or mixing in chopped black olives and olive oil, or go for a more tart version with yoghurt and fresh herbs like parsely, chives and basil.For a mildly garlicky version, add some peeled cloves to the water and mash through.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 19 delicious dinners using turkey minceYesterday 1:00pm
- Easy chocolate browniesYesterday 1:00pm
- Quick-mix chewy choc-chip cookiesYesterday 1:00pm
- Beef rissoles and mashYesterday 1:00pm
- '90s Aussie kids' party foodFeb 25, 2021
- Easy hot cross bunsFeb 25, 2021
- White chocolate cracklesFeb 25, 2021
- Chocolate freckle sliceFeb 25, 2021
- Delicious desserts packed full of sultanasFeb 25, 2021
- 27 quick and tasty chicken stir-fry recipesFeb 24, 2021
- Kung pao chickenFeb 24, 2021
- Vegan dulce de lecheFeb 24, 2021
- Nasi goreng with chicken and shrimpFeb 24, 2021
- Tom yum soupFeb 24, 2021
- How to make a classic béarnaise sauceFeb 22, 2021