- 1 kilogram desiree or spunta potatoes, peeled, chopped coarsely
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 60 gram butter, softened
- 2/3 cup (160ml) milk
- salt and pepper
- 1Place potatoes in a medium saucepan, cover with cold water. Add salt to pan. Bring to the boil, then simmer, uncovered, for about 10 minutes or until tender.
- 2Drain potatoes, return to dry pan. Cook potatoes over low or residual heat, 30 seconds, to remove moisture, shaking the pan to ensure they don't stick to the base.
- 3Mash the potatoes using a masher or ricer, or push them through a sieve into a large bowl, using the back of a wooden spoon. Stir in butter until combined.
- 4Heat milk in a small saucepan or in the microwave until just below boiling. Gradually add hot milk to potato, beat with a wooden spoon until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
Make some flavour variations by mashing through some roasted garlic, or mixing in chopped black olives and olive oil, or go for a more tart version with yoghurt and fresh herbs like parsely, chives and basil.For a mildly garlicky version, add some peeled cloves to the water and mash through.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Apple and cinnamon crunch cake with cinnamon anglaiseYesterday 2:00pm
- Carrot falafelYesterday 2:00pm
- Turkish delightYesterday 2:00pm
- Spiced tofu bao with pineapple cucumber saladYesterday 2:00pm
- Zucchini koftas with harissa yoghurtYesterday 2:00pm
- 20 easy apple crumble recipes for dessertYesterday 2:00pm
- Crispy middle-eastern seed and spice potatoesYesterday 2:00pm
- 34 marvellous meatball recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Pork sausage and asparagus frittataYesterday 2:00pm
- Ratatouille stewMay 14, 2021
- Aussie damperMay 14, 2021
- 22 Indian recipesMay 13, 2021
- Brown rice and mushroom bowl with dukkah eggsMay 13, 2021
- Porridge recipes to warm up your morningsMay 13, 2021