- 1 kilogram desiree or spunta potatoes, peeled, chopped coarsely
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 60 gram butter, softened
- 2/3 cup (160ml) milk
- salt and pepper
- 1Place potatoes in a medium saucepan, cover with cold water. Add salt to pan. Bring to the boil, then simmer, uncovered, for about 10 minutes or until tender.
- 2Drain potatoes, return to dry pan. Cook potatoes over low or residual heat, 30 seconds, to remove moisture, shaking the pan to ensure they don't stick to the base.
- 3Mash the potatoes using a masher or ricer, or push them through a sieve into a large bowl, using the back of a wooden spoon. Stir in butter until combined.
- 4Heat milk in a small saucepan or in the microwave until just below boiling. Gradually add hot milk to potato, beat with a wooden spoon until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
Make some flavour variations by mashing through some roasted garlic, or mixing in chopped black olives and olive oil, or go for a more tart version with yoghurt and fresh herbs like parsely, chives and basil.For a mildly garlicky version, add some peeled cloves to the water and mash through.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Iced vovosSep 16, 2021
- Salmon pattiesSep 16, 2021
- Picnic food ideasSep 16, 2021
- Sri Lankan potato and pea currySep 16, 2021
- Japanese katsu chicken currySep 16, 2021
- Southern fried chickenSep 15, 2021
- 27 simple risottosSep 15, 2021
- 46 perfect pea recipesSep 15, 2021
- Karaage chicken with Sriracha mayonnaiseSep 15, 2021
- Marble cakeSep 15, 2021
- Fish fingers with mushy peasSep 15, 2021
- 24 amazing ways to use the humble onionSep 14, 2021
- 32 wonderful ways with cornSep 14, 2021
- Monte Carlo biscuitsSep 14, 2021