- 2 x packets raspberry jelly crystals
- 500 gram small strawberries
- 250 gram raspberries
- 200 gram sponge cake, cut into 3cm cubes
- 1/3 cup (80ml) sweet sherry
- 500 gram mascarpone cheese
- 2 x 500g cartons vanilla bean custard (see tips)
- 600 millilitre thickened (heavy) cream
- 2 tablespoon icing sugar (confectioners' sugar)
- 2 tablespoon flaked natural almonds, roasted
- 1Make jelly according to directions on packet; pour into a 3 litre (12-cup) glass serving bowl.
- 2Cut 250g of the strawberries in half; add to the jelly with half the raspberries. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until jelly is almost set.
- 3Place cake in a medium bowl, sprinkle with sherry; toss to coat.
- 4Beat mascarpone and custard in a large bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Spoon custard mixture over jelly, then top custard with sherry-soaked cake.
- 5Beat cream and half the sifted icing sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Spoon cream over cake.
- 6Serve trifle topped with remaining raspberries and strawberries, then flaked almonds. Dust with remaining icing sugar.
We used Gippsland Dairy Madagascan vanilla bean custard, but you can use any good-quality thick dairy custard. You can use orange-flavoured liqueur instead of the sherry, if you prefer. The trifle can be made 1 day ahead up to the end of step 3; store, covered in the fridge.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- French toastOct 16, 2019
- Honey joysOct 16, 2019
- Nasi goreng with chicken and shrimpOct 16, 2019
- Peanut butter cookiesOct 16, 2019
- Chicken curry recipesOct 16, 2019
- Ocean trout salad with edamame miso dressingOct 16, 2019
- Windsor shortbreadOct 16, 2019
- Coconut riceOct 16, 2019
- Best burger recipesOct 16, 2019
- Pumpkin and maple bacon tarts with fried eggsOct 16, 2019
- Sweet potato bubble and squeakOct 16, 2019
- Spiced apple filo coilOct 16, 2019
- Lemon curd cakeOct 16, 2019
- Butter chickenOct 15, 2019
- Vanilla sliceOct 15, 2019
- Pistachio, honey and cardamom kulfiOct 15, 2019