- 1/4 cup (40g) poppy seeds
- 2 tablespoon milk
- 125 gram butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon lemon rind, finely grated
- 1 teaspoon lime rind, finely grated
- 2/3 cup (150g) caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup (150g) self-raising flour
- 1/3 cup (50g) plain flour
- 1/3 cup (40g) almond meal
- 1/4 cup (60ml) orange juice
- 1/2 cup (80g) icing sugar
- 450 gram white prepared fondant
- green, orange and yellow food colouring
- 1/3 cup (110g) orange marmalade, warmed, strained
- 2 tablespoon green sprinkles
- 2 tablespoon orange sprinkles
- 2 tablespoon yellow sprinkles
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C (60°C fan-forced). Line 6-hole texas (3/4 cup/180ml) or 12-hole standard (1/3 cup/80ml) muffin pan with paper cases.
- 2Combine seeds and milk in small bowl, stand 20 minutes.
- 3Beat butter, rinds, sugar and eggs in small bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- 4Stir in sifted flours, almond meal, juice and poppy seed mixture. Divide mixture among cases, smooth surface.
- 5Bake large cakes about 30 minutes, small cakes about 20 minutes. Turn cakes onto wire rack to cool.
- 6On surface dusted with sifted icing sugar, knead fondant until smooth. Reserve 100g of fondant, enclose in plastic wrap. Divide remaining fondant into three equal portions, tint green, orange and yellow by kneading in colouring. Wrap separately in plastic wrap.
- 7Roll each of the coloured portions to a thickness of 5mm. Cut out rounds large enough to cover tops of cakes. Brush tops of cakes with marmalade, position rounds on cakes.
- 8Roll reserved fondant into very thin lengths, cut off small pieces to represent seeds. Position lengths on top of cakes, using a little water, to represent segments.
- 9Fill segments with matching coloured sprinkles, position fondant seeds.
We used green, orange and yellow paper muffin cases to match the decorations of these lovely cakes.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 22 vegetarian lasagne recipesYesterday 6:40am
- Gluten-free raspberry and lemon syrup cakeYesterday 6:02am
- Classic beef lasagneJun 26, 2022
- 29 brilliant ways with broccoliniJun 26, 2022
- Our best spaghetti bologneseJun 26, 2022
- Leek and mushroom lasagneJun 26, 2022
- 21 beautiful baked salmon recipesJun 26, 2022
- Cheesy smoked baked beans with pumpkinJun 26, 2022
- Traditional Greek recipesJun 26, 2022
- Gluten-free smoky chicken and corn pieJun 26, 2022
- Roast beef with yorkshire puddingsJun 26, 2022
- 27 gluten-free dinnersJun 26, 2022
- Lasagne recipe collectionJun 26, 2022
- Ratatouille bake with cauliflower bechamelJun 26, 2022