Citrus almond twist
- 3 teaspoon (10g) dried yeast
- 1 1/2 tablespoon caster (superfine) sugar
- 1/2 cup (125ml) milk, warmed
- 2 egg yolks
- 100 gram butter, melted
- 3/4 cup (180ml) warm water
- 3 cup (450g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (60g) roasted almonds
- 1/3 cup (75g) firmly packed, brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 100 gram butter, melted, extra
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange rind
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon rind
- 1 egg, beaten lightly
- 250 gram orange marmalade
Citrus almond twist
- 1Combine yeast, caster sugar and milk in a large bowl, cover and let stand in a warm place 10 minutes or until frothy. Add egg yolks, butter, water, flour and salt and stir until combined. Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface and knead 10 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Place dough in a lightly oiled large bowl, cover and let stand in a warm place 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- 2Process three-quarters of the almonds for 1 minute or until finely ground. Combine ground nuts, brown sugar, mixed spice, extra melted butter and the rinds to form a paste.
- 3Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F. Grease a large oven tray.
- 4Lightly flour a large piece of baking paper; roll dough out on paper into a 25cm x 45cm rectangle.
- 5Spread almond paste mixture on dough, leaving a 1cm border. Firmly roll dough up from one long side, using the baking paper as a guide. Using a sharp knife, cut the roll into half lengthways. Turn the halves so the cut sides face out, on the baking paper, the twist the two lengths together. Form the twist length into a ring, pressing the two ends together to join.
- 6Transfer the ring, carefully lifting it with the baking paper, onto the oven tray. Brush with the beaten egg; sprinkle with the remaining halved almonds.
- 7Bake 10 minutes. Reduce oven to 180°C/350°F and bake a further 35 minutes or until golden and hollow sounding when tapped. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Serve twist with marmalade.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Brilliant brownie recipesYesterday 1:29am
- Picnic food ideasYesterday 12:58am
- Portuguese chickens with fig saladFeb 20, 2020
- Healthy banana breadFeb 20, 2020
- Slow-cooked lamb shank pieFeb 20, 2020
- Caramel sliceFeb 19, 2020
- Linguine primavera & poached eggsFeb 19, 2020
- Barley, chicken and sesame slawFeb 19, 2020
- Carrot cake with lemon cream cheese frostingFeb 19, 2020
- Fish and chipsFeb 19, 2020
- Spinach and ricotta cannelloniFeb 19, 2020
- Turkish eggs (Shakshuka)Feb 19, 2020
- Slow-cooked lamb with white beansFeb 19, 2020