These traditional Parisian specialties are named after a palm tree because, when baked, they resemble palm fronds. Palmiers were probably invented as a clever way to make use of puff pastry scraps; quick and easy, they're great for afternoon tea.
- 2 tablespoons white (granulated) sugar
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg, beaten lightly
- ½ cup (110g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1Sprinkle a clean surface with 1 tablespoon of the white sugar; place one sheet of pastry on the sugar, pressing it gently onto the sugar. Brush pastry with a little egg; sprinkle half the combined caster sugar and cinnamon over pastry. Fold two opposite sides of pastry inwards to meet in the middle, flatten folded edges slightly; brush with a little more of the egg. Fold one half onto the other. Repeat process with remaining white sugar, pastry sheet, cinnamon sugar and egg. Enclose each in plastic wrap; freeze for 30 minutes or until firm.
- 2Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F fan-forced (see tips). Grease two large oven trays; line with baking paper.
- 3Cut pastry into 1.5cm (¾in) slices; place slices, cut-side up, 10cm (4in) apart on oven trays.
- 4Bake for 10 minutes. Turn trays; bake for a further 10 minutes or until palmiers are crisp and golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
We've used the oven's fan-forced function for this recipe as it evenly circulates the heat around the oven, which helps the pastry puff and crisp up in its relatively short baking time. Store palmiers in an airtight container for up to 2 days.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 12 easy Japanese dishesYesterday 11:00pm
- Roast lambYesterday 2:00pm
- Cheese delightsYesterday 2:00pm
- Cauliflower cream soup with mushroomsYesterday 2:00pm
- Healthy lunchbox recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- How to cook corned beef in a pressure cookerYesterday 2:00pm
- Savoury apple sauceYesterday 2:00pm
- Cheesecake recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Corned beef silverside with parsley chat potatoesYesterday 2:00pm
- Our favourite family roastsYesterday 2:00pm
- Healthy and tasty low-fat recipesJul 30, 2020
- Karaage chicken with Sriracha mayonnaiseJul 30, 2020
- Delicious pasta salad recipes to look forward toJul 30, 2020
- Lamb shanks massamanJul 29, 2020
- Healthy banana breadJul 29, 2020
- Sensational savoury piesJul 29, 2020