- 1 1/4 cup (200g) icing (confectioners') sugar
- 3/4 cup (90g) ground almonds
- 1/4 cup (20g) desiccated coconut
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 cup (55g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 2 teaspoon icing (confectioners') sugar, extra
- 1 tablespoon cornflour (cornstarch)
- 1 tablespoon custard powder
- 1 tablespoon caster (superfine) sugar
- 1/2 cup (125ml) milk
- 15 gram (½ ounce) butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoon brandy
- 1Grease and line oven trays.
- 2Process icing sugar, ground almonds, coconut and cinnamon until fine; sift through fine sieve into medium bowl, discard any large pieces.
- 3Beat egg whites and caster sugar in small bowl with electric mixer until firm peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Fold in almond mixture, in two batches.
- 4Spoon mixture into piping bag fitted with 1cm (½-inch) plain tube. Pipe 4cm (1½-inch) rounds, about 2.5cm (1-inch) apart, on trays. Tap trays on bench so macaroons spread slightly. Dust with sifted extra icing sugar. Stand about 30 minutes or until macarons are dry to touch.
- 5Preheat oven to 150°C/300°F.
- 6Make eggnog custard
- 7Bake macarons about 20 minutes. Cool on trays.
- 8Sandwich macarons with about 1 teaspoon of custard.
- 9Combine cornflour, custard powder and sugar in small saucepan; gradually stir in milk. Stir over heat until mixture boils and thickens. Remove from heat; stir in butter, egg yolk and brandy.
- 10Cover surface with plastic wrap; cool.
The custard can be made several days ahead; store in the fridge. Return custard to room temperature before using. Filled macaroons are best eaten the day they are made. Unfilled macaroons will keep in an airtight container, at room temperature, for up to 3 days or will freeze for 3 months.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Classic sconesYesterday 12:35am
- Rocky roadOct 22, 2020
- Our best homemade sausage rollsOct 22, 2020
- Beautiful buttermilk pancakesOct 22, 2020
- Chinese omelettesOct 22, 2020
- Sausage rollsOct 22, 2020
- Traditional shortbreadOct 22, 2020
- Strawberry & almond friand sliceOct 22, 2020
- Sticky glazed slow-roast pork neckOct 22, 2020
- Roast vegetable terrineOct 22, 2020
- Morning and afternoon tea recipesOct 22, 2020
- Fruit mince piesOct 22, 2020
- Roast pumpkin and couscous saladOct 22, 2020
- Lemon and sugar pancakesOct 22, 2020
- Roast pumpkin, spinach and feta saladOct 22, 2020
- Curried pasta saladOct 22, 2020