- ⅔ cup (130g) dried red kidney beans
- ⅓ cup (65g) buckwheat
- ¼ cup (60ml) olive oil
- 1 leek (350g), white part only, sliced thinly
- 200 grams pancetta, chopped coarsely
- 1 large carrot (180g), chopped coarsely
- 2 trimmed celery stalks (200g), chopped coarsely
- 2 medium parsnips (500g), chopped finely
- 1 orange sweet potato (400g), chopped coarsely
- 2 large zucchini (300g), diced
- 2 x 400g cans diced tomatoes
- 1.25 litre (5 cups) chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 250 grams haloumi, sliced thickly
- 1Place beans and buckwheat in separate medium bowls with enough cold water in each to cover. Stand overnight. Drain beans and buckwheat separately; rinse under cold water.
- 2Place beans in a saucepan of boiling water; return to the boil. Boil for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to medium; simmer for 10 minutes or until beans are just tender. Drain.
- 3Heat half the oil in a large heavy-based saucepan over medium heat; cook leek and pancetta, stirring, for 10 minutes or until leek is softened. Add carrot and celery; cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Add parsnip, sweet potato, zucchini, tomatoes, stock, 2½ cups (625ml) water and bay leaf; bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low; cook, covered, for 30 minutes.
- 4Stir in buckwheat; cook, covered, for a further 15 minutes or until buckwheat is tender. Remove lid, add beans to soup; cook, uncovered, for another 5 minutes or until warmed through. Season to taste.
- 5Heat remaining oil in a medium frying pan over medium heat; cook haloumi, in batches, until browned on both sides.
- 6Serve half the minestrone topped with haloumi. Transfer remaining minestrone to an airtight container; cool, then store.
This amount of haloumi is enough for the served portion of minestrone. Cook the same amount again when you reheat the stored portion.Serve topped with classic pesto or broccoli pesto, or salsa verde, if you prefer.Refrigerate minestrone for up to 3 days. Freeze for up to 3 months; thaw in the fridge, then reheat in a microwave.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Delicious breakfast recipes for Mother's DayMay 04, 2021
- Star anise, soy and beer-braised beef shinMay 04, 2021
- Butterfly cakesMay 04, 2021
- Bolognese pasta bakeMay 04, 2021
- Zucchini and sweet potato loafMay 04, 2021
- 33 of our slow-cooked favouritesMay 04, 2021
- Cheesy risotto ballsMay 04, 2021
- Mixed bean chilliMay 04, 2021
- Amazing Mother's Day lunch recipes for your mumMay 04, 2021
- 20 edible gift ideas for Mother's DayMay 04, 2021
- Pizza dough and basic tomato sauceMay 04, 2021
- Prawn chu chee curryMay 04, 2021
- 25 delicious chicken breast recipesMay 04, 2021
- Spanish seafood stew with aioliMay 04, 2021