- 1/2 cup (50g) walnut pieces
- 1 2/3 cup (250g) plain flour
- 1/3 cup (60g) rice flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt flakes
- 250 gram butter, softened
- 1 cup (220g) caster sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- icing sugar, to dust
- 1Preheat oven to 160°C (140°C fan-forced). Line two oven trays with baking paper.
- 2Roast walnuts for 8 minutes or until lightly browned; cool. Pulse walnuts in a food processor until finely chopped.
- 3Combine the sifted flour, rice flour, cinnamon and salt in a bowl.
- 4Beat the butter and sugar until pale and creamy. Add the egg yolk and mix until fully incorporated. Add the dry ingredients and walnuts; beat until combined. Divide dough into two pieces; press each into a square. Wrap each in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- 5Roll out one piece of dough between two sheets of baking paper into a square, about 1cm thick. Using a 4cm square fluted biscuit cutter, cut the dough into squares. Place 3cm apart on the prepared trays. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until firm.
- 6Using a 2cm star cutter, cut stars out of centre. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- 7Bake for 18 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on trays before dusting with icing sugar.
If shortbread softens on storing, refresh in a 160°C (140°C fan-forced) oven for 10 minutes. If you are short on time, place dough in the freezer for 10 minutes to make it firm quickly. Shortbread can be made up to a week in advance. Store in an airtight container in a cool, dark place. Suitable to freeze. Not suitable to microwave.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Our best Italian recipesYesterday 1:00pm
- 22 marvellous muffin recipesYesterday 1:00pm
- Lemon chicken casseroleYesterday 1:00pm
- 29 American-style diner recipes for weekend entertainingYesterday 6:23am
- Cinnamon doughnutsYesterday 4:17am
- Chicken cacciatoreYesterday 3:00am
- Chilli jamYesterday 2:14am
- Garlic breadYesterday 1:00am
- 10 classic recipes to master once and for allYesterday 12:51am
- Chocolate cupcake thickshakeYesterday 12:39am
- Our unbeatable lemon curd recipeJan 18, 2022
- Quinoa zucchini haloumi burgersJan 18, 2022
- BaklavaJan 18, 2022
- Chocolate hazelnut sliceJan 18, 2022
- Chocolate fudge browniesJan 18, 2022