Christmas sago pudding
- melted butter, to grease, plus 90 g extra, chopped
- 1 cup milk or light soy milk, plus 2 tablespoons extra
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup pearl sago
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1/2 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 1/4 cup soft fresh gluten-free breadcrumbs
- 1 1/4 cup mixed dried fruit
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- spiced custard, to serve
Christmas sago pudding
- 1Lightly grease a 1.25-litre (5-cup) pudding basin with melted butter.
- 2Bring milk to the boil in a medium saucepan. Remove from heat. Add sugar, extra butter, sago, vanilla and mixed spice; mix well. Cover, stand for 10 minutes.
- 3Combine bicarbonate of soda and extra milk in a small jug; stir until bicarbonate of soda dissolves. Add to sago mixture; mix well.
- 4Combine breadcrumbs and dried fruit in a medium bowl. Add sago mixture and egg; mix well. Pour into prepared pudding basin; smooth surface. Cut a piece of baking paper and a piece of foil large enough to cover top of basin and extend over the side. Place foil on top of baking paper, then fold to make a pleat in the centre. Place over pudding basin, foil-side up. Tie firmly with kitchen string to secure.
- 5Place a saucer upside down in a large saucepan. Quarter-fill pan with water. Bring to the boil over high heat. Gently place pudding in water, making sure water reaches about two-thirds up side of basin, Reduce heat to moderately high; cover. Boil, replenishing with boiling water as required, for 2 hours or until a skewer inserted at centre comes out clean. Carefully remove pudding from water. Stand for 15 minutes turning onto a serving plate.
To make spiced custard, warm bought gluten-free custard with 2 teaspoons finely grated orange zest and 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Beef curry with turmeric rice and coconut sambalJun 14, 2019
- Banana cake recipesJun 14, 2019
- Beef curry recipesJun 14, 2019
- Fabulous frittata recipesJun 13, 2019
- 10 perfect puff pastry recipesJun 12, 2019
- 10 easy risotto recipesJun 11, 2019
- Quiche LorraineJun 06, 2019
- Vegetarian nachosJun 06, 2019
- Quince recipesJun 06, 2019
- Fried rice recipesJun 06, 2019
- Roasted chickpeas & beansJun 05, 2019
- 14 cheeky chickpea recipesJun 05, 2019
- Waffles à la suzetteJun 04, 2019
- Vegetable and chickpea frittersJun 04, 2019
- Pea and ham soupJun 04, 2019
- Embrace eggplant with these 10 tasty recipesJun 03, 2019