Christmas sago pudding
- melted butter, to grease, plus 90 g extra, chopped
- 1 cup milk or light soy milk, plus 2 tablespoons extra
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup pearl sago
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1/2 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 1/4 cup soft fresh gluten-free breadcrumbs
- 1 1/4 cup mixed dried fruit
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- spiced custard, to serve
Christmas sago pudding
- 1Lightly grease a 1.25-litre (5-cup) pudding basin with melted butter.
- 2Bring milk to the boil in a medium saucepan. Remove from heat. Add sugar, extra butter, sago, vanilla and mixed spice; mix well. Cover, stand for 10 minutes.
- 3Combine bicarbonate of soda and extra milk in a small jug; stir until bicarbonate of soda dissolves. Add to sago mixture; mix well.
- 4Combine breadcrumbs and dried fruit in a medium bowl. Add sago mixture and egg; mix well. Pour into prepared pudding basin; smooth surface. Cut a piece of baking paper and a piece of foil large enough to cover top of basin and extend over the side. Place foil on top of baking paper, then fold to make a pleat in the centre. Place over pudding basin, foil-side up. Tie firmly with kitchen string to secure.
- 5Place a saucer upside down in a large saucepan. Quarter-fill pan with water. Bring to the boil over high heat. Gently place pudding in water, making sure water reaches about two-thirds up side of basin, Reduce heat to moderately high; cover. Boil, replenishing with boiling water as required, for 2 hours or until a skewer inserted at centre comes out clean. Carefully remove pudding from water. Stand for 15 minutes turning onto a serving plate.
To make spiced custard, warm bought gluten-free custard with 2 teaspoons finely grated orange zest and 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- '90s Aussie kids' party foodFeb 25, 2021
- Easy hot cross bunsFeb 25, 2021
- White chocolate cracklesFeb 25, 2021
- Delicious desserts packed full of sultanasFeb 25, 2021
- Chocolate freckle sliceFeb 25, 2021
- 27 quick and tasty chicken stir-fry recipesFeb 24, 2021
- Kung pao chickenFeb 24, 2021
- Vegan dulce de lecheFeb 24, 2021
- Tom yum soupFeb 24, 2021
- Nasi goreng with chicken and shrimpFeb 24, 2021
- How to make a classic béarnaise sauceFeb 22, 2021
- All of our best nachos recipesFeb 22, 2021
- 30 minced recipesFeb 22, 2021
- 20 baking ideas with cranberriesFeb 22, 2021
- Mini caramelised onion and prosciutto meatloavesFeb 22, 2021