- 300 grams g (9½oz) dark fruit cake or pudding, chopped coarsely
- 2 tablespoons liqueur of your choice (see tips)
- 2 litres (8 cups) good-quality vanilla ice-cream, softened slightly
- 1 cup (120g) pecans, roasted, chopped coarsely
- 2 medium oranges (480g)
- 1/4 cup (90g) honey
- 1Grease eight 1-cup (250ml) jelly or dairole moulds.
- 2Combine cake and liqueur in a large bowl until absorbed. Working quickly, add ice-cream to bowl with pecans;
stir until just combined. Spoon ice-cream mixture into moulds. Freeze for 4 hours or overnight until firm.
- 3Make orange slices.
- 4Just before serving, turn bombes out onto chilled plates or a platter; top with orange slices and extra honey, if you like. Serve immediately.
- 5Preheat oven to 160°C/325°F. Line a large oven tray with baking paper. Cut oranges into 4mm (¼in) thick slices. Brush slices with honey; place slices, in a single layer, on tray. Bake for 45 minutes or until starting to caramelise. Leave on tray to cool.
You will need to start this recipe a day ahead. For instructions on how to make one large bombe, see tips.You can use brandy or an orange, coffee, nut or vanilla liqueur. For a large bombe, line a 2 litre (8-cup) mould or bowl with two large pieces of plastic wrap, extending the plastic 10cm (4in) over side. Orange slices can be made 1 day ahead; store in an airtight container at room temperature, layered with baking paper to prevent slices sticking.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Classic mashed potatoesYesterday 1:00pm
- Firm ricottaYesterday 1:00pm
- Caesar saladYesterday 1:00pm
- Spicy guacamoleYesterday 1:00pm
- Red velvet cakeYesterday 1:00pm
- Red velvet whoopie piesYesterday 1:00pm
- Pork dinner recipesYesterday 1:00am
- Soft ricottaJan 18, 2021
- Recipes and guide to the keto dietJan 18, 2021
- Zucchini ribbon skewers with tomato fetta saladJan 18, 2021
- Freekeh tabbouleh beetrootJan 18, 2021
- Eggplant bolognese bakeJan 18, 2021
- Kimchi 2 waysJan 18, 2021
- Lamington cream layer cakeJan 18, 2021
- Mixed berry coconut layer cakeJan 18, 2021