- 300 grams g (9½oz) dark fruit cake or pudding, chopped coarsely
- 2 tablespoons liqueur of your choice (see tips)
- 2 litres (8 cups) good-quality vanilla ice-cream, softened slightly
- 1 cup (120g) pecans, roasted, chopped coarsely
- 2 medium oranges (480g)
- 1/4 cup (90g) honey
- 1Grease eight 1-cup (250ml) jelly or dairole moulds.
- 2Combine cake and liqueur in a large bowl until absorbed. Working quickly, add ice-cream to bowl with pecans;
stir until just combined. Spoon ice-cream mixture into moulds. Freeze for 4 hours or overnight until firm.
- 3Make orange slices.
- 4Just before serving, turn bombes out onto chilled plates or a platter; top with orange slices and extra honey, if you like. Serve immediately.
- 5Preheat oven to 160°C/325°F. Line a large oven tray with baking paper. Cut oranges into 4mm (¼in) thick slices. Brush slices with honey; place slices, in a single layer, on tray. Bake for 45 minutes or until starting to caramelise. Leave on tray to cool.
You will need to start this recipe a day ahead. For instructions on how to make one large bombe, see tips.You can use brandy or an orange, coffee, nut or vanilla liqueur. For a large bombe, line a 2 litre (8-cup) mould or bowl with two large pieces of plastic wrap, extending the plastic 10cm (4in) over side. Orange slices can be made 1 day ahead; store in an airtight container at room temperature, layered with baking paper to prevent slices sticking.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Classic rum ballsToday 4:29am
- Garlic breadToday 1:00am
- Chocolate and cherry bombe alaskaYesterday 11:55pm
- Garlic beef stir-fryYesterday 1:00pm
- Easy recipes with leeksYesterday 1:00pm
- Show-stopping Christmas recipes you'll be famous forYesterday 1:00pm
- Mouthwatering glazed Christmas ham recipesYesterday 1:00pm
- Fettuccine carbonaraYesterday 5:37am
- White ChristmasNov 22, 2020
- Perfect roast potatoesNov 22, 2020
- Baked chocolate and caramel cheesecakeNov 22, 2020
- Christmas fruit and spice friandsNov 22, 2020
- Classic boiled Christmas puddingNov 22, 2020
- Pork and fennel sausage rollsNov 22, 2020
- Best edible Christmas giftsNov 22, 2020
- Perfect pad thaiNov 20, 2020