Christmas fruit & spice friands
- 1½ cups (240g) pure icing sugar
- ⅓ cup ( plain flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ cup (40g) dried currants
- 1½ cups (180g) almond meal
- 6 egg whites
- 3 teaspoons finely grated orange rind
- 200 grams butter, melted
- 200 grams crème fraîche
- 300 grams fresh red currants
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- ½ cup (110g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 2 teaspoons mixed spice
- ½ cup (125ml) water
- 1Preheat oven to 230°C. Line a 12-hole (⅓-cup/80ml) muffin pan with paper cases.
- 2Sift icing sugar, flour and spices into a large bowl. Stir in dried currants and almond meal; make a well in the centre. Add egg whites, rind and butter; stir with a metal spoon until combined. Spoon mixture into paper cases.
- 3Bake friands for 5 minutes. Reduce oven to 200°C; bake for a further 12 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Leave friands in pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool.
- 4Meanwhile, make spice syrup. Place vanilla, sugar and mixed spice in a medium saucepan; stir to combine. Add the water; cook, stirring, over low heat for 2 minutes or until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil. Boil, uncovered, without stirring, for 5 minutes or until syrup thickens slightly. Remove from heat.
- 5Top friands with crème fraîche and red currants; drizzle with syrup. Dust with icing sugar, if you like.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Seeded parmesan crispsJan 31, 2021
- Banana berry breakfast sorbetJan 30, 2021
- Peanut brittle cannoliToday 4:38am
- Toasted nori chipsToday 3:30am
- Trail mixYesterday 1:00pm
- After-school snack ideas for hungry kidsYesterday 1:00pm
- Broccoli, mustard and cheddar hand piesYesterday 1:00pm
- Lemon meringue cupcakesYesterday 1:00pm
- Churros with chilli sugar & caramel sauceYesterday 1:00pm
- Greek-style baked eggplantYesterday 1:00pm
- Cauliflower and seeds falafelsYesterday 1:00pm
- 24 healthy snacksYesterday 1:00pm
- Lime and basil shortbreadYesterday 1:00pm
- Roasted carrot hummusYesterday 1:00pm
- Firm ricottaJan 19, 2021