- 1/2 cup (125ml) water
- 60 gram butter, chopped finely
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 1/2 cup (75g) baker's flour
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar
- 3 cup (750ml) milk
- 2/3 cup (150g) caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup (50g) cornflour
- 1Make crème pâtissière. Combine milk, sugar and extract in a medium saucepan; bring to the boil. Meanwhile, whisk egg yolks and cornflour in a medium heatproof bowl; gradually whisk in hot milk mixture. Return mixture to pan; stir over medium heat until mixture boils and thickens. Cover surface with plastic wrap. Refrigerate 4 hours.
- 2Preheat oven to 220°C/425°F. Grease oven trays.
- 3To make choux pastry, combine the water, butter and caster sugar in a medium saucepan; bring to the boil. Add flour; beat with a wooden spoon over medium heat until the mixture comes away from base of pan. Transfer pastry to a medium bowl; beat in two of the eggs, one at a time. Whisk remaining egg with a fork; beat enough of the egg into the pastry until it becomes smooth and glossy but still holds its shape.
- 4Drop level tablespoons of the pastry, about 5cm (2 inches) apart, onto trays.
- 5Bake puffs for 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 180°C/350°F; bake for a further 15 minutes. Cut a small opening into the base of each puff; bake for a further 10 minutes or until puffs are dry. Cool on trays.
- 6Spoon crème pâtissière into piping bag fitted with a 5mm (¼-inch) plain tube; pipe through cuts into puffs. Dust puffs with sifted icing sugar.
Crème pâtissière can be made a day ahead; store, covered, in the refrigerator. It will need to be softened before piping: beat it with an electric mixer until smooth.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Creamed corn and bacon cob loafYesterday 1:50am
- 20 hearty, healthy soups to enjoySep 24, 2020
- Stuffed capsicumSep 24, 2020
- Spiced beef nachosSep 24, 2020
- Delicious dessert recipes with ricottaSep 24, 2020
- Curried sausagesSep 24, 2020
- 25 sweet strawberry dessert recipesSep 24, 2020
- Spiced fish tacos with slaw and avocado creamSep 24, 2020
- Rosé sangriaSep 23, 2020
- The best Anzac biscuit recipe of all timeSep 23, 2020
- Gluten-free treats and baked goodsSep 23, 2020
- Beef rissoles and mashSep 23, 2020
- 22 salad recipes that are surprisingly excitingSep 23, 2020
- Vanilla cupcakesSep 23, 2020
- Easy choc-chip biscuit recipesSep 23, 2020
- Barbecued salmon with salsa criollaSep 23, 2020