- 1/2 cup (125ml) water
- 60 gram butter, chopped finely
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 1/2 cup (75g) baker's flour
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar
- 3 cup (750ml) milk
- 2/3 cup (150g) caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup (50g) cornflour
- 1Make crème pâtissière. Combine milk, sugar and extract in a medium saucepan; bring to the boil. Meanwhile, whisk egg yolks and cornflour in a medium heatproof bowl; gradually whisk in hot milk mixture. Return mixture to pan; stir over medium heat until mixture boils and thickens. Cover surface with plastic wrap. Refrigerate 4 hours.
- 2Preheat oven to 220°C/425°F. Grease oven trays.
- 3To make choux pastry, combine the water, butter and caster sugar in a medium saucepan; bring to the boil. Add flour; beat with a wooden spoon over medium heat until the mixture comes away from base of pan. Transfer pastry to a medium bowl; beat in two of the eggs, one at a time. Whisk remaining egg with a fork; beat enough of the egg into the pastry until it becomes smooth and glossy but still holds its shape.
- 4Drop level tablespoons of the pastry, about 5cm (2 inches) apart, onto trays.
- 5Bake puffs for 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 180°C/350°F; bake for a further 15 minutes. Cut a small opening into the base of each puff; bake for a further 10 minutes or until puffs are dry. Cool on trays.
- 6Spoon crème pâtissière into piping bag fitted with a 5mm (¼-inch) plain tube; pipe through cuts into puffs. Dust puffs with sifted icing sugar.
Crème pâtissière can be made a day ahead; store, covered, in the refrigerator. It will need to be softened before piping: beat it with an electric mixer until smooth.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 20 homemade muesli bars and snack barsToday 5:29am
- Nectarine and almond tarte tatinToday 2:23am
- 25 pasta recipesToday 1:08am
- Garlic prawns with sourdough toastToday 12:23am
- Classic lamingtonsYesterday 8:00pm
- Slow-cooker mushroom risottoYesterday 1:00pm
- Healthy quinoa saladsYesterday 1:00pm
- 17 sensational seafood stews and casserolesYesterday 1:00pm
- 22 healthy snacks to get you through the dayYesterday 1:00pm
- Beer-battered fish and chipsYesterday 1:00pm
- 23 fish cakes recipes for easy dinnersYesterday 1:00pm
- 36 vegan dinners for the familyYesterday 1:00pm
- 22 salad recipes that are surprisingly excitingYesterday 1:00pm
- Baked caramel cheesecakeYesterday 1:00pm
- Thai beef saladYesterday 1:00pm