- 1 kilogram butternut pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red onion (300g), cut into wedges
- 2 x 125g cured chorizo sausages, sliced thickly
- 400 gram canned chickpeas, drained, rinsed
- 1 fresh long red chilli, sliced thickly
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh coriander sprigs
- 1 tablespoon light olive or vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1Preheat a covered barbecue with all burners on low and hood closed until temperature reaches 220°C/425°F, or follow manufacturer's instructions.
- 2Peel pumpkin; cut pumpkin crossways into 2cm slices, then cut each half moon-shaped slice into four pieces.
- 3Combine cumin, paprika and oil in a small bowl. Toss pumpkin with half the spice mixture in a medium ovenproof dish; season. Add onion wedges to dish. Place dish on barbecue; turn burners off underneath dish, leaving the other burners on low. Cook pumpkin and onion in covered barbecue for 40 minutes or until almost tender.
- 4Combine chorizo, chickpeas and chilli in a large bowl with remaining spice mixture. Add to baking dish with pumpkin; cook in covered barbecue for 20 minutes or until chorizo and pumpkin are browned and tender.
- 5Meanwhile, make sherry vinegar dressing. Place ingredients in a screw-top jar; shake well. Season to taste.
- 6Drizzle dressing over salad, then add herbs; toss gently to combine.
Disposable aluminium baking dishes available from supermarkets are great to use for cooking on the barbecue. This recipe can also be roasted in a 200°C/400°F oven for the same cooking time. Serve this salad in small dishes as tapas or on a large platter as an accompaniment to a main course.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Prawn and vegetable Okonomiyaki - Japanese pancakeYesterday 12:58am
- Cauliflower recipesMay 06, 2021
- Old-fashioned curried sausagesMay 06, 2021
- What food is in season in May?May 06, 2021
- Baked cauliflowerMay 06, 2021
- Thai beef saladMay 06, 2021
- Perfect panna cotta recipesMay 06, 2021
- Sensational sweet tartsMay 06, 2021
- Apple turnoversMay 06, 2021
- Lemon meringue pieMay 06, 2021
- Fruit mince sliceMay 06, 2021
- Tasty treats for Mother's Day morning teaMay 05, 2021
- Delicious breakfast recipes for Mother's DayMay 04, 2021
- Pizza dough and basic tomato sauceMay 04, 2021
- Star anise, soy and beer-braised beef shinMay 04, 2021