- 1/4 cup pure cream
- 100 gram chopped good-quality dark chocolate
Chocolate yule log
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon cherry brandy liqueur
- 2/3 cup whipped thickened cream
- roasted hazelnuts, chopped, to serve
Chocolate yule log
- 1Preheat oven to moderately hot, 190°C. Line a 20cm x 30cm swiss roll pan with baking paper.
- 2In a medium bowl, using an electric mixer, beat eggs and sugar together 4-5 minutes until thick and pale. Sift flour and cocoa together over egg mixture. Gently fold in.
- 3Spoon mixture into pan and smooth surface. Bake 8-10 minutes, until cake springs back when lightly touched.
- 4Turn out onto a clean tea towel and carefully peel off baking paper. Trim edges. Gently roll up cake in tea towel. Set aside to cool completely.
- 5Meanwhile, to make ganache, heat cream in a saucepan on medium until almost boiling. Remove from heat. Add chocolate, stirring until smooth. Chill until spreadable.
- 6Unroll cooled sponge. Brush with liqueur. Spread with cream. Roll up and place, seam side down, on a piece of baling paper. Trim one end diagonally.
- 7Secure cut end to side of log with a little ganache to form branch. Spread remaining ganache over cake to cover. Drag a fork across surface to create a wavy pattern to resemble bark. Sprinkle with hazelnuts.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Classic lamingtonsYesterday 8:00pm
- Lamington popsYesterday 1:00pm
- Beet and black bean burgerJan 23, 2020
- Sticky wing with sesame saltJan 23, 2020
- Salmon and potato salad with mustardy dressingJan 23, 2020
- How to bake basic damper while campingJan 23, 2020
- Korean-style barbecued chicken riceJan 23, 2020
- "Eat your greens" chicken saladJan 23, 2020
- Sticky pork with sweet and sour saladJan 23, 2020
- Broccoli and paneer saag curryJan 23, 2020
- Roast pumpkin dip with spiced chickpeasJan 23, 2020
- Szechuan-style chilli eggplantJan 23, 2020
- Paper cup popsiclesJan 23, 2020
- Green minestrone with pestoJan 23, 2020