- 3 cups (660g) caster (superfine) sugar
250g (8oz) butter, chopped
2 cups (500ml) water
⅓ cup (35g) cocoa powder
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
3 cups (450g) self-raising flour
4 eggs, beaten lightly
- 125g (4oz) butter
1½ cups (240g) icing (confectioners') sugar
⅓ cup (35g) cocoa powder
2 tablespoons milk
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F. Grease a deep 26.5cm x 33cm, 3.5 litre (14 cup) roasting pan (see tips); line base with baking paper.
- 2Place sugar, butter, the water and combined sifted cocoa and soda in a large saucepan; stir over medium-low heat, without boiling, until sugar dissolves and butter has melted. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer, for 5 minutes. Transfer mixture to a large bowl; cool to room temperature.
- 3Add flour and egg to chocolate mixture; beat with an electric mixer until mixture is smooth and changed to a paler colour. Pour mixture into pan.
- 4Bake cake for 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Leave cake in pan for 5 minutes before turning, top-side up, on a wire rack to cool.
- 5Make chocolate buttercream. Beat butter in a small bowl with electric mixer until as white as possible. Gradually beat in half the sifted icing sugar and cocoa, then the milk and remaining icing sugar and cocoa.
- 6Spread cold cake with buttercream. Decorate with chocolate shavings, if you like.
Choose a perfectly level-bottomed roasting pan; one made from cast aluminium is the best choice, but almost any type will work. If the cake appears to be cooking too quickly in the corners of the pan, reduce the oven temperature to 160°C; this will increase the cooking time by up to 15 minutes. Cake will keep for up to 2 days in an airtight container at room temperature, or in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Frosted or unfrosted, the cakecan be frozen for up to 3 months
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Classic rum ballsToday 4:29am
- Garlic breadToday 1:00am
- Chocolate and cherry bombe alaskaYesterday 11:55pm
- Garlic beef stir-fryYesterday 1:00pm
- Easy recipes with leeksYesterday 1:00pm
- Show-stopping Christmas recipes you'll be famous forYesterday 1:00pm
- Mouthwatering glazed Christmas ham recipesYesterday 1:00pm
- Fettuccine carbonaraYesterday 5:37am
- White ChristmasNov 22, 2020
- Perfect roast potatoesNov 22, 2020
- Baked chocolate and caramel cheesecakeNov 22, 2020
- Christmas fruit and spice friandsNov 22, 2020
- Classic boiled Christmas puddingNov 22, 2020
- Pork and fennel sausage rollsNov 22, 2020
- Best edible Christmas giftsNov 22, 2020
- Perfect pad thaiNov 20, 2020