- 4 cup caster sugar
- 3 cup water
- 500 gram butter, chopped
- 400 gram dark chocolate, chopped
- 2 tablespoon instant coffee
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 cup self-raising flour
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- raspberries, icing sugar, to serve
- 2 cup thickened cream
- 2 x 375g packet milk chocolate melts
- 1Preheat oven to 150°C. Lightly grease and line the base and sides of 2 x 20cm round cake pans.
- 2In a large saucepan, stir sugar, water, butter, chocolate, coffee and vanilla on low until smooth. Transfer to a large bowl. Cool for 30 minutes. Lightly whisk in eggs. Stir in combined sifted dry ingredients.
- 3Divide mixture evenly between pans. Bake for 1 ½ hours until cooked when tested. Cool in pan for 10 minutes. Turn onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- 4Meanwhile, to make milk chocolate ganache; in a small saucepan, heat cream on medium until almost boiling. Remove from heat. Add chocolate, stirring until smooth. Transfer to a glass bowl. Cool, covered, for 1 hour until spreadable.
- 5Trim tops of cakes with a serrated knife until level. Half each cake horizontally.
- 6Place one cake piece on a serving plate. Spread with 2 tablespoons ganache. Repeat with remaining cakes.
- 7Spread remaining ganache roughly over top and sides of cake. Using a long palette knife, gently smooth edges, removing excess ganache, so you can just see the layers. Serve cake topped with raspberries and lightly dusted with icing sugar.
Naked and semi naked cakes, are pared down creations that allow the layers, colour and texture of the cake can shine through. Cake must be completely cool before attempting to halve or spread with ganache. If you prefer a smaller cake, simply halve the mixture and bake in one pan.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Salad of roasted beetroot with goat's cheese and walnutsYesterday 2:00pm
- Iced vovosYesterday 2:00pm
- Salmon pattiesYesterday 2:00pm
- Picnic food ideasYesterday 1:58am
- Sri Lankan potato and pea curryYesterday 1:36am
- Japanese katsu chicken curryYesterday 1:24am
- Southern fried chickenSep 15, 2021
- 27 simple risottosSep 15, 2021
- 46 perfect pea recipesSep 15, 2021
- Karaage chicken with Sriracha mayonnaiseSep 15, 2021
- Marble cakeSep 15, 2021
- Fish fingers with mushy peasSep 15, 2021
- 24 amazing ways to use the humble onionSep 14, 2021
- 32 wonderful ways with cornSep 14, 2021
- Monte Carlo biscuitsSep 14, 2021