- 500 gram strawberries, halved
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 4 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup (220g) caster sugar
- 2 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoon cornflour
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 300 millilitre thickened cream
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar, extra
- coarsely grated dark chocolate for serving, optional
- 1Preheat the oven to very slow, 120°C (100°C fan-forced). Lightly grease two oven trays. Mark six 8cm circles on two sheets of baking paper. Place the baking paper on the oven trays, marked side down.
- 2Beat egg whites and cream of tartar in a small bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually add the sugar, beating until dissolved between additions. Quickly and gently fold in the sifted cocoa and cornflour, then vinegar.
- 3Spread the pavlova mixture in circles on the prepared trays. Bake for about 45 minutes or until firm; cool in the oven with the door ajar.
- 4To make strawberry compote; one hour before serving, combine, the strawberries and sugar in a medium bowl. Toss gently to combine. Stand for 1 hour.
- 5Just before serving, beat the cream and extra sugar in a small bowl until soft peaks form. Top pavlovas with the cream, strawberry compote and chocolate, if desired.
Pavlovas can be made a day ahead; store in an airtight container at room temperature. Fill pavlovas close to serving.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Chilli barbecued haloumi recipe with zucchini saladYesterday 4:00pm
- Sticky date pudding with butterscotch sauceMar 21, 2019
- Pommes AnnaMar 20, 2019
- Chocolate Easter frecklesMar 20, 2019
- Noughts and crosses chocolate chip easter bunsMar 20, 2019
- 7 creative ways to take damper to the next levelMar 19, 2019
- Easy hot cross bunsMar 18, 2019
- Cream-free spaghetti carbonaraMar 14, 2019
- Goan fish curry with low-carb cauliflower riceMar 13, 2019
- Low-carb turkey and kale lasagneMar 13, 2019
- Mega mushroom burgersMar 13, 2019
- Spinach and ricotta-stuffed chicken parmigianaMar 11, 2019
- Fennel, lemon, pea & prawn risottoMar 11, 2019
- Sweet potato pizza with fig and pancettaMar 11, 2019