- 200 gram dark (semi-sweet) chocolate, chopped coarsely
- 60 gram butter, chopped
- 6 eggs, separated
- 2/3 cup (150g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 400 gram dark (semi-sweet) chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 600 millilitre thickened (heavy) cream
- 1/3 cup (75g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 1/4 cup (60ml) orange juice
- 1 medium_piece (240g) orange, rind peeled into wide strips
- 1 (450g) pomegranate, seeds removed
- 1Preheat oven to 170°C (150°C fan forced). Grease a 22cm (9-inch) springform pan, line base and side with baking paper.
- 2Place chocolate and butter in a small saucepan over low heat, stir until smooth and melted. Cool.
- 3Beat egg yolks and ½ cup of the sugar in a small bowl with an electric mixer until thick and creamy. Beat in chocolate mixture. Transfer to a large bowl.
- 4Beat egg whites and remaining sugar in a clean large bowl with electric mixer until soft peaks form, fold into chocolate mixture, in two batches. Spoon mixture into pan.
- 5Bake cake 35 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out with moist crumbs attached. Cool in pan.
- 6To make chocolate mousse, stir chocolate in a small saucepan over low heat until smooth, stir in spices. Beat cream in a large bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks just form. Fold in chocolate mixture until just combined.
- 7Pomegranate syrup, stir sugar, juice and rind in a small saucepan over medium heat, without boiling, until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil. Remove pan from heat, stir in pomegranate seeds, stir to coat in syrup, cool.
- 8Pour mousse over cake in pan. Cover, refrigerate 6 hours or until firm. Just before serving top with pomegranate syrup.
To remove seeds from a pomegranate, cut the fruit in half crossways, hold the half, cut-side down, in the palm of your hand over a bowl, then hit the outside firmly with a wooden spoon. The seeds should fall out easily, discard any white pith that falls out with them. Cake and syrup can be made a day ahead, store separately in airtight containers in the fridge.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 13 delicious chicken drumstick ideasYesterday 2:00pm
- Super-simple chicken parmigianaYesterday 2:00pm
- Veal braciole with rice and peasYesterday 2:00pm
- Chicken carbonara baked pastaYesterday 2:00pm
- Beef mince and rice burritosYesterday 3:11am
- Creative ways with celeriacAug 07, 2022
- Beef and lentil curryAug 07, 2022
- Gluten-free peanut butter cookiesAug 07, 2022
- Apple streusel sliceAug 07, 2022
- 22 cost effective meals using mince and riceAug 07, 2022
- Lemon deliciousAug 07, 2022
- Salsa verdeAug 06, 2022
- Potatoes with lemon and tomatoAug 05, 2022
- Popcorn butterscotch squaresAug 05, 2022