- 200 gram chocolate biscuits
- 60 gram butter, melted
- 4 egg whites
- 3/4 cup (165g) caster sugar
- 1/2 cup (55g) ground hazelnuts
- 2 tablespoon plain flour
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar
- 125 gram butter, softened
- 1/2 cup (110g) caster sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon Grand Marnier or freshly squeezed orajuice
- 200 gram dark chocolate, melted
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a 20cm x 30cm slice pan; line base and long sides with baking paper, extending the paper 5cm over sides.
- 2Process biscuits until finely crushed. Combine 1 cup of the biscuit crumbs with butter in a medium bowl, then press crumb over the base of the prepared pan. Refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- 3Beat egg whites in a small bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually add caster sugar, beating until dissolved after each addition; fold in hazelnut meal, remaining biscuit crumbs and sifted flour. Spread mixture over biscuit base.
- 4Bake 20 minutes or until firm; cool 20 minutes. Reduce oven to 160°C (140°C fan-forced).
- 5For the topping, beat butter, sugar, egg yolks and liqueur (or juice) in a small bowl with an electric mixer until the sugar is dissolved, then fold in melted chocolate.
- 6Spread topping over slice and bake for about 20 minutes or until set. Cool in pan. Refrigerate until firm.
- 7Just before serving, dust slice with sifted cocoa; top slice with random strips of baking paper, dust with icing sugar, then carefully remove paper. Cut slice into 24 pieces.
This recipe can be made a week ahead.You can also use stencils to dust the design onto the slice. This slice can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week.Buy plain chocolate biscuits for this recipe, that is, without filling, icing or chocolate coating. Separate the eggs; use the egg whites in the biscuit base and the egg yolks in the chocolate topping.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Lamb shanksMay 26, 2022
- Ham and cheese croquettesMay 26, 2022
- Slow-cooked bologneseMay 26, 2022
- Basil, chickpea and vegetable stewMay 26, 2022
- 28 easy ways with bologneseMay 26, 2022
- Individual chocolate self-saucing puddingsMay 26, 2022
- Cauliflower parmigianaMay 26, 2022
- Classic lemon cheesecakeMay 26, 2022
- 30 fabulous fish curriesMay 26, 2022
- Red velvet cakeMay 26, 2022
- Mulled wineMay 26, 2022
- Silverbeet omelette with capsicum saladMay 26, 2022
- Spiced semolina and almond halvaMay 26, 2022
- 26 things you can make with a bottle of red wineMay 25, 2022
- Flourless orange & white chocolate cakeMay 25, 2022