- 375 gram mixed dried fruit
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup brandy
- 225 gram unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 cup plain flour, sifted
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- icing sugar, raspberries, blueberries, custard, to serve
- 1In a large glass bowl, combine fruit, juice and brandy. Cover with plastic wrap. Set aside for 30 minutes.
- 2Preheat oven to 160°C. Lightly grease a 2-litre pudding basin and line base with baking paper.
- 3In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar together until creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Fold in breadcrumbs, sifted combined flour, cocoa, spices and fruit with brandy.
- 4Spoon mixture into basin, smoothing top. Cover with baking paper and lid (or a layer of foil and secure with string).
- 5Bake for 2 hours until cooked when tested. Cool in basin for 5 minutes before turning onto a cooling rack.
- 6Serve dusted with icing sugar, topped with raspberries and blueberries. Accompany with custard (see tip), if liked.
To make homemade custard; bring 2 cups milk with 1 teaspoon vanilla just to the boil. Beat 4 egg yolks, ½ cup sugar and 1 tablespoon cornflour. Whisk in milk. Stir over low heat until just boiling. Stir in 2 tablespoon brandy. Cover with plastic wrap touching surface if not used straight away.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Juice recipes to rival those bought in-storeToday 3:00am
- 40 cauliflower recipesYesterday 11:29pm
- 20 of our tastiest savoury tartsYesterday 2:00pm
- Roast chicken with herb stuffingYesterday 2:00pm
- 40 warming sweet and savoury recipes for your pressure cookerYesterday 2:00pm
- Make these beef taco pies in your pie makerJul 22, 2021
- Make butter chicken roti pies in your pie makerJul 22, 2021
- Custard tartJul 22, 2021
- 20 beautiful bundt cakesJul 22, 2021
- How to make custard tarts in your pie makerJul 22, 2021
- How to make apple pies in your pie makerJul 22, 2021
- How to make Aussie meat pies in the pie makerJul 22, 2021