Enjoy rich, creamy homemade ice-cream surrounded by a chocolatey biscuit case as the ultimate weekend dessert.
Looking for more ice-cream sandwich recipes?
Smoked almond ice-cream
- 50 gram unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup (165g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 3/4 cup (430ml) pouring cream
- 1 cup (250ml) milk
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthways
- 6 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup (120g) smoked almonds, chopped coarsely
- 150 gram butter, softened
- 1 cup (220g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup (150g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1/2 cup (75g) self-raising flour
- 1/3 cup (35g) cocoa powder
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon chilled water
- 2 teaspoon dutch-processed cocoa
Smoked almond ice-cream
- 1Stir butter and sugar in a medium saucepan over medium heat for 2 minutes or until butter melts and combines with sugar. Add cream, milk and vanilla bean, stir until mixture comes to a simmer.
- 2Whisk egg yolks in a medium bowl. Gradually add the warm milk mixture, whisking until combined. Return mixture to pan, cook over low heat, stirring continuously, until mixture thickens enough to coat the back of the spoon. Do not allow to boil.
- 3Strain mixture into a medium bowl, discard vanilla bean. Cover surface of custard directly with plastic wrap, cool to room temperature. Refrigerate until chilled.
- 4Spoon custard into an ice-cream machine. Following manufacturer's directions, churn until frozen. Grease a 19cm x 29cm slice pan, line base and sides with baking paper. Stir almonds into ice-cream. Spoon mixture into the slice pan. Cover, freeze 3 hours or overnight.
- 5Cut a 7.5cm (3-inch) triangle from thick cardboard to use as a template for biscuits and ice-cream.
- 6Process butter, sugar, flours and cocoa until mixture is crumbly. Add egg yolk, extract and the water, process until ingredients just come together. Wrap dough in plastic wrap, refrigerate 30 minutes.
- 7Roll pastry between sheets of baking paper until 4mm (¼-inch) thick. Using the cardboard template, cut 24 triangles from pastry. Re-roll scraps if necessary. Place triangles on two baking-paper-lined oven trays. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- 8Preheat oven to 160°C (180°C fan forced). Bake biscuits for 12 minutes or until crisp. Stand on trays 5 minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool.
- 9Using the cardboard template, cut 12 triangles from the ice-cream. Sandwich ice-cream between two biscuits. Freeze sandwiches for 15 minutes or until firm. Serve immediately, dusted with dutch cocoa.
You could stir the smoked almonds into 1 litre of softened good-quality vanilla ice-cream, if you like. Spread the ice-cream mixture into the slice pan and freeze until firm.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Princess-themed birthday cakesYesterday 4:28am
- Over-the-top chocolate and macadamia browniesJun 27, 2022
- 11 mouth-watering jaffles for lunchJun 27, 2022
- 22 vegetarian lasagne recipesJun 27, 2022
- Gluten-free raspberry and lemon syrup cakeJun 27, 2022
- Our best spaghetti bologneseJun 26, 2022
- Traditional Greek recipesJun 26, 2022
- 29 brilliant ways with broccoliniJun 26, 2022
- Classic beef lasagneJun 26, 2022
- Roast beef with yorkshire puddingsJun 26, 2022
- 27 gluten-free dinnersJun 26, 2022
- Cheesy smoked baked beans with pumpkinJun 26, 2022