- 1 cup (120g) ground almonds
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 cup (55g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 1 cup (160g) icing (confectioners') sugar
- 1/4 cup (25g) cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup (80ml) pouring cream
- 150 gram (5 ounces) dark (semi-sweet) chocolate, chopped finely
- 2 teaspoon cocoa powder, extra
- 1Grease two oven trays; line with baking paper.
- 2Process ground almonds until fine, then push through a fine sieve over a medium bowl. (Doing this will produce a fine-textured macaron.)
- 3Whisk egg whites in a small bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Add caster sugar, beat until sugar dissolves; transfer mixture to a large bowl. Fold in sifted icing sugar, cocoa and ground almonds, in two batches.
- 4Spoon mixture into piping bag; pipe 4cm (1½-inch) rounds 3cm (1¼-inches) apart onto trays. Tap trays on bench so macarons spread slightly; stand for 30 minutes or until dry to touch.
- 5Meanwhile, preheat oven to 150°C/300°F.
- 6Bake macarons for 20 minutes or until when a macaron is gently pushed it moves without breaking. Cool on trays.
- 7For filling, bring cream to the boil in a small saucepan, remove from heat; add chocolate, stir until smooth. Refrigerate 20 minutes or until spreadable.
- 8Sandwich macarons with 1 teaspoon chocolate filling; dust with extra sifted cocoa to serve
You need a piping bag fitted with a 2cm (¾-inch) plain tube. Sandwiched macaroons will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days, or freeze for up to 3 months. The quantity of egg whites needs to be accurate when making macaroons, so ensure the whites are from 60g eggs. Room temperature egg whites are best.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Apple and cinnamon crunch cake with cinnamon anglaiseYesterday 2:00pm
- Carrot falafelYesterday 2:00pm
- Turkish delightYesterday 2:00pm
- Spiced tofu bao with pineapple cucumber saladYesterday 2:00pm
- Zucchini koftas with harissa yoghurtYesterday 2:00pm
- 20 easy apple crumble recipes for dessertYesterday 2:00pm
- Crispy middle-eastern seed and spice potatoesYesterday 2:00pm
- 34 marvellous meatball recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Pork sausage and asparagus frittataYesterday 2:00pm
- Ratatouille stewMay 14, 2021
- Aussie damperMay 14, 2021
- 22 Indian recipesMay 13, 2021
- Brown rice and mushroom bowl with dukkah eggsMay 13, 2021
- Porridge recipes to warm up your morningsMay 13, 2021