- ⅓ cup (50g) self-raising flour
- ⅓ cup (50g) plain flour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- ⅔ cup (50g) desiccated coconut
- ¾ cup (165g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 90 g unsalted butter, melted
Coconut cherry filling
- ¾ cup (130g) caster sugar
- ⅓ cup (80ml) milk
- 1⅔ cups (130g) desiccated coconut
- 1 egg white, beaten lightly
- ¼ cup (40g) icing sugar
- ¾ cup (150g) red glacé cherries, halved
- 200 g dark chocolate, chopped coarsely
- 60 g butter
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Grease a 20cm x 30cm rectangular slice pan; line base and long sides with baking paper, extending the paper 5cm over the sides.
- 2Combine sifted flours and cocoa, coconut, sugar and butter in a medium bowl; press mixture evenly over base of pan. Bake base for 20 minutes or until firm. Cool.
Coconut cherry filling
- 3Place caster sugar and milk in a small saucepan; stir over low heat until sugar has dissolved. Cool for 5 minutes. Transfer mixture to a large bowl; stir in coconut, egg white, sifted icing sugar and cherries. Spread over cooled base, smooth surface. Cover; refrigerate for 15 minutes or until firm.
- 4Meanwhile, place chocolate and butter in a medium heatproof bowl over a medium saucepan of simmering water (make sure the base of the bowl doesn't touch the water); stir until smooth. Spread evenly over filling.
- 5Refrigerate slice for 3 hours or until topping has set. Cut into pieces with a hot knife.
Not suitable to freeze. Chocolate topping suitable to microwave.
The base can be made to the end of step 2, a day ahead. Slice can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Seeded parmesan crispsJan 31, 2021
- Banana berry breakfast sorbetJan 30, 2021
- Boston baked beansToday 5:03am
- Dessert recipes starring fresh peachesToday 4:18am
- 25 pasta recipesToday 1:08am
- Homemade mint sauceToday 1:00am
- Our best cupcake recipesYesterday 11:12pm
- Our best banana breadYesterday 11:00pm
- Lamb rack with sourdough, lemon and herb crustYesterday 10:43pm
- Lamb chops with slow-roast tomatoesYesterday 9:00pm
- The best Anzac biscuit recipe of all timeYesterday 5:00pm
- Roast stuffed mushroomsYesterday 1:00pm
- Potato samosasYesterday 1:00pm
- Breakfast and brunch recipesYesterday 1:00pm
- Banana pancakes with butterscotch sauceYesterday 1:00pm