- 1 cup (200g) dried chickpeas
- 1 dried chipotle chilli
- 1/2 cup (125ml) boiling water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 kilogram boned lamb leg, coarsely chopped
- 1 (300g) red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 410 gram canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup (250ml) water
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh coriander
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- 1Place chickpeas in a medium bowl and cover with cold water. Stand overnight. Rinse under cold water; drain.
- 2Place chilli and boiling water in a small bowl and stand 15 minutes or until chilli softens. Discard stalk from chilli. Blend or process chilli and soaking liquid until smooth.
- 3Meanwhile, heat half the oil in a 6-litre pressure cooker. In batches, cook lamb until browned. Remove from cooker.
- 4Heat remaining oil in cooker. Stir onion and garlic over heat until onion softens. Add spices and continue stirring until fragrant. Add chickpeas, chilli mixture, tomatoes and water; secure lid. Bring cooker to high pressure. Reduce heat to stabilise pressure; cook 20 minutes.
- 5Release pressure using the quick release method; remove lid. Return lamb to cooker and secure lid. Bring cooker to high pressure. Reduce heat to stabilise pressure and cook 25 minutes. Release pressure using the quick release method; remove lid. Stir in coriander and season to taste. Serve with lime wedges.
If you have an electric pressure cooker you won’t need to reduce the heat to stabilise pressure, your cooker will automatically stabilise itself. Always check the manufacturer’s instructions before using. This recipe is suitable to freeze. Quick release method: Each time the lid is removed from the cooker, the pressure must be released quickly first. Use tongs (the steam can burn your fingers) to turn the pressure valve on top of the cooker to open the valve and release the steam. We use this method when adding ingredients and when checking the food toward the end of cooking time.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Kohlrabi & sweet potato rosti with cashew dipYesterday 7:08am
- Delicious recipes to try in your Kmart pie makerYesterday 12:05am
- Beef curry with turmeric rice and coconut sambalJun 14, 2019
- Banana cake recipesJun 14, 2019
- Beef curry recipesJun 14, 2019
- Fabulous frittata recipesJun 13, 2019
- 10 perfect puff pastry recipesJun 12, 2019
- 10 easy risotto recipesJun 11, 2019
- Quiche LorraineJun 06, 2019
- Vegetarian nachosJun 06, 2019
- Quince recipesJun 06, 2019
- Fried rice recipesJun 06, 2019
- Roasted chickpeas & beansJun 05, 2019
- 14 cheeky chickpea recipesJun 05, 2019
- Waffles à la suzetteJun 04, 2019
- Vegetable and chickpea frittersJun 04, 2019