Chinese wonton soup
- 1 kilogram chicken bones
- 1 small_piece brown onion (80g), quartered
- 1 medium_piece carrot (120g), quartered
- 3 litre (12 cups) water
- 4 centimetre piece fresh ginger (20g), grated
- 2 fresh small red thai chillies, halved lengthways
- 150 gram pork mince
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 green onion, chopped finely
- 2 tablespoon finely chopped water chestnuts
- 2 tablespoon finely chopped fresh coriander
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoon chinese cooking wine
- 1/4 cup (60ml) soy sauce
- 2 teaspoon caster sugar
- 12 wonton wrappers
- 1 cup firmly packed watercress sprigs
- 4 fresh shiitake mushrooms, sliced thinly
Chinese wonton soup
- 1Combine bones, onion, carrot, the water, three-quarters of the ginger and half of the chilli in large saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, about 2 hours or until reduced by half. Strain broth through muslin-lined sieve or colander into large bowl; discard solids. (Broth can be made ahead to this stage. Cover; refrigerate overnight or freeze.)
- 2Meanwhile, chop remaining chilli finely. Combine in small bowl with pork, garlic, onion, water chestnut, coriander, oil, 2 teaspoons of the wine, 1 teaspoon of the soy sauce, half of the sugar and remaining ginger.
- 3Place 1 level tablespoon of pork filling on centre of each wonton wrapper; brush around edges with a little water, gather edges around filling, pinch together to seal. Repeat process with remaining pork filling and wonton wrappers.
- 4Skim fat from surface of broth; return broth to large saucepan. Add remaining wine, remaining soy sauce and remaining sugar; bring to a boil. Add wontons to pan; cook, uncovered, about 5 minutes or until cooked through.
- 5Meanwhile, divide watercress and mushrooms among serving bowls. Using slotted spoon, transfer wontons from pan to bowls then ladle broth into bowls.
Locally grown water chestnuts are sold in Asian food shops and some greengrocers in some months of the year. Uncooked wontons can be frozen until required; cook, straight from the freezer, in the broth.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 28 mango recipes for dessertOct 21, 2021
- 13 Spooky Halloween recipesOct 21, 2021
- Seeded pumpkin breadOct 21, 2021
- Apple crumbleOct 21, 2021
- Santorini tomato frittersOct 21, 2021
- Zucchini primavera with poached eggsOct 21, 2021
- Gluten-free banana breadOct 21, 2021
- Fresh tomato pizzettasOct 21, 2021
- Basic hummusOct 20, 2021
- Custard tartOct 20, 2021
- Our best hummus recipesOct 20, 2021
- Roti canai flatbreadOct 20, 2021
- Peaches and cream pieOct 20, 2021
- Our classic pavlova recipeOct 20, 2021