Chilli beef hot pot
- 1/4 cup (35g) plain flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 kilogram gravy beef or shin beef, cut into 4cm pieces
- 1 large (200g) brown onion, chopped
- 2 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3 long green chillies, seeded, chopped
- 2 cup (500ml) beef stock
- 400 gram can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
Chilli beef hot pot
- 1Preheat oven to 160°C/140°C fan-forced.
- 2Combine flour and spices in a large bowl; season generously with salt and ground white pepper. Toss beef in flour mixture to coat. Shake off excess.
- 3Heat a large heavy-based flameproof pan or baking dish. Add 1/2 tablespoon oil; cook beef, in batches, adding oil as needed, over medium-high heat until browned (3-4 minutes per batch). Remove from the pan.
- 4Heat a further 1/2 tablespoon oil in same pan; cook onion and garlic, stirring, for about 5 minutes or until soft but not coloured. Add tomato paste and chilli; cook, stirring, for a further minute.
- 5Return beef to pan with stock, undrained tomatoes, sugar and salt. Bring to a simmer and put lid on, or cover tightly with foil. Bake for 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until beef is tender and falling apart. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 6Serve the beef topped with sliced green chillies and fried tortillas, sour cream and tomato salsa, if desired
Suitable to freeze. Not suitable to microwave.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- '90s Aussie kids' party foodFeb 25, 2021
- Easy hot cross bunsFeb 25, 2021
- White chocolate cracklesFeb 25, 2021
- Delicious desserts packed full of sultanasFeb 25, 2021
- Chocolate freckle sliceFeb 25, 2021
- 27 quick and tasty chicken stir-fry recipesFeb 24, 2021
- Kung pao chickenFeb 24, 2021
- Vegan dulce de lecheFeb 24, 2021
- Tom yum soupFeb 24, 2021
- Nasi goreng with chicken and shrimpFeb 24, 2021
- How to make a classic béarnaise sauceFeb 22, 2021
- All of our best nachos recipesFeb 22, 2021
- 30 minced recipesFeb 22, 2021
- 20 baking ideas with cranberriesFeb 22, 2021
- Mini caramelised onion and prosciutto meatloavesFeb 22, 2021