- 1 1/2 cup (300g) pearl barley
- 500 gram butternut pumpkin, cut into 1.5cm (¾-inch) pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 medium_piece (480g) oranges
- 400 gram canned chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained, rinsed
- 1/3 cup (55g) almonds, roasted, chopped coarsely
- 1/4 cup (35g) sunflower seeds, toasted lightly
- 300 gram cherries, halved, pitted
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, chopped
- 2 tablespoon fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoon pomegranate molasses
- 1/2 cup (125ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoon small fresh mint leaves, extra
- 1Preheat oven to 220°C (200°C fan forced).
- 2Cook soaked barley in a large saucepan of boiling water for 25 minutes or until tender, drain. Rinse under cold water, drain well.
- 3Meanwhile, combine pumpkin, olive oil and cumin seeds on a large oven tray, season. Bake for 20 minutes or until tender and beginning to brown around edges.
- 4Remove rind from oranges with a zester, into long thin strips. Segment oranges over a bowl to catch the juices reserve 2 tablespoons of juice.
- 5Place barley, pumpkin, orange segments and rind in a large bowl with chickpeas, nuts, seeds, cherries and herbs. Combine reserved juice, pomegranate molasses and extra virgin olive oil in a small jug. Drizzle dressing over salad, season to taste, toss gently to combine. Serve salad topped with extra mint.
To segment oranges, cut top and bottom from oranges with a small sharp knife. Cut remaining rind and white pith from oranges, following the curve of the fruit. Holding the oranges over a bowl, cut down both sides of the white membrane to release each segment. Squeeze membrane to release any juices into the bowl. This textural salad of grains, nuts and fruits can be eaten as a light lunch or serve it as a side dish with chicken or lamb. Grapes would make a nice alternative to the cherries. You will need to soak the barley in cold water for 3 hours before you start this recipe. Drain barley before use.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Crisp-skin barramundi with mandarin salsaToday 6:51am
- Mandarin marmaladeToday 6:41am
- Mandarin and chai soufflesToday 5:13am
- Mandarin and cardamom gluten-free muesliYesterday 8:00pm
- Mandarin and poppy seed friandsYesterday 5:00pm
- Jam dropsMay 15, 2019
- Cottage pieMay 15, 2019
- Slow cooker soup recipesMay 15, 2019
- Apple pieMay 14, 2019
- Cuban black bean soup in the slow cookerMay 14, 2019
- Slow cooker vegetable minestroneMay 14, 2019
- Slow-cooker ribollitaMay 14, 2019
- Slow-cooker borschtMay 14, 2019
- Ricotta recipes for a delicious dinnerMay 14, 2019
- Almond-crusted turkey parmigianaMay 08, 2019