- 1 1/2 cup (300g) pearl barley
- 500 gram butternut pumpkin, cut into 1.5cm (¾-inch) pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 medium_piece (480g) oranges
- 400 gram canned chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained, rinsed
- 1/3 cup (55g) almonds, roasted, chopped coarsely
- 1/4 cup (35g) sunflower seeds, toasted lightly
- 300 gram cherries, halved, pitted
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, chopped
- 2 tablespoon fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoon pomegranate molasses
- 1/2 cup (125ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoon small fresh mint leaves, extra
- 1Preheat oven to 220°C (200°C fan forced).
- 2Cook soaked barley in a large saucepan of boiling water for 25 minutes or until tender, drain. Rinse under cold water, drain well.
- 3Meanwhile, combine pumpkin, olive oil and cumin seeds on a large oven tray, season. Bake for 20 minutes or until tender and beginning to brown around edges.
- 4Remove rind from oranges with a zester, into long thin strips. Segment oranges over a bowl to catch the juices reserve 2 tablespoons of juice.
- 5Place barley, pumpkin, orange segments and rind in a large bowl with chickpeas, nuts, seeds, cherries and herbs. Combine reserved juice, pomegranate molasses and extra virgin olive oil in a small jug. Drizzle dressing over salad, season to taste, toss gently to combine. Serve salad topped with extra mint.
To segment oranges, cut top and bottom from oranges with a small sharp knife. Cut remaining rind and white pith from oranges, following the curve of the fruit. Holding the oranges over a bowl, cut down both sides of the white membrane to release each segment. Squeeze membrane to release any juices into the bowl. This textural salad of grains, nuts and fruits can be eaten as a light lunch or serve it as a side dish with chicken or lamb. Grapes would make a nice alternative to the cherries. You will need to soak the barley in cold water for 3 hours before you start this recipe. Drain barley before use.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Slow-cooker dessert recipesToday 1:54am
- Christmas in July recipesToday 1:30am
- Sustainable chowderYesterday 2:00pm
- Sausage rollsYesterday 2:00pm
- Perfect puff pastry recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Banana bread with passionfruit icingYesterday 2:00pm
- Delicious roast chicken dinnersYesterday 2:00pm
- How to make a chocolate hazelnut cheesecake in your slow cookerYesterday 2:00pm
- How to make classic chocolate brownies in your slow cookerYesterday 2:00pm
- Spaghetti marinaraYesterday 2:00pm
- Seafood chowderYesterday 2:00pm
- Cinnamon sugar palmiersYesterday 2:00pm
- Our best homemade sausage rollsYesterday 2:00pm
- Our best hummus recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Cornflake cookiesJul 08, 2020
- Vegetarian moussakaJul 08, 2020