- 1 1/2 cup (300g) pearl barley
- 500 gram butternut pumpkin, cut into 1.5cm (¾-inch) pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 medium_piece (480g) oranges
- 400 gram canned chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained, rinsed
- 1/3 cup (55g) almonds, roasted, chopped coarsely
- 1/4 cup (35g) sunflower seeds, toasted lightly
- 300 gram cherries, halved, pitted
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, chopped
- 2 tablespoon fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoon pomegranate molasses
- 1/2 cup (125ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoon small fresh mint leaves, extra
- 1Preheat oven to 220°C (200°C fan forced).
- 2Cook soaked barley in a large saucepan of boiling water for 25 minutes or until tender, drain. Rinse under cold water, drain well.
- 3Meanwhile, combine pumpkin, olive oil and cumin seeds on a large oven tray, season. Bake for 20 minutes or until tender and beginning to brown around edges.
- 4Remove rind from oranges with a zester, into long thin strips. Segment oranges over a bowl to catch the juices reserve 2 tablespoons of juice.
- 5Place barley, pumpkin, orange segments and rind in a large bowl with chickpeas, nuts, seeds, cherries and herbs. Combine reserved juice, pomegranate molasses and extra virgin olive oil in a small jug. Drizzle dressing over salad, season to taste, toss gently to combine. Serve salad topped with extra mint.
To segment oranges, cut top and bottom from oranges with a small sharp knife. Cut remaining rind and white pith from oranges, following the curve of the fruit. Holding the oranges over a bowl, cut down both sides of the white membrane to release each segment. Squeeze membrane to release any juices into the bowl. This textural salad of grains, nuts and fruits can be eaten as a light lunch or serve it as a side dish with chicken or lamb. Grapes would make a nice alternative to the cherries. You will need to soak the barley in cold water for 3 hours before you start this recipe. Drain barley before use.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Chorizo and capscium savoury bread puddingFeb 13, 2019
- Caramel cheesecake sliceFeb 13, 2019
- Delicious recipes to back up your gut healthFeb 13, 2019
- Valentine's Day dinners worth staying in forFeb 12, 2019
- Turmeric dosa with green chilli potatoesFeb 10, 2019
- Healthy steamed fish and vegetable parcelsFeb 10, 2019
- Vegan tiramisuFeb 10, 2019
- Indian-style gnocchi with green veg masalaFeb 10, 2019
- Grain-free coconut granolaFeb 10, 2019
- Banana, coconut & rosemary nice-creamFeb 10, 2019
- Gluten-free buckwheat waffles with golden syrupFeb 10, 2019
- How to cook burghulFeb 10, 2019
- Vegetable lasagneFeb 10, 2019