- 1 1/2 cup (300g) pearl barley
- 500 gram butternut pumpkin, cut into 1.5cm (¾-inch) pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 medium_piece (480g) oranges
- 400 gram canned chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained, rinsed
- 1/3 cup (55g) almonds, roasted, chopped coarsely
- 1/4 cup (35g) sunflower seeds, toasted lightly
- 300 gram cherries, halved, pitted
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, chopped
- 2 tablespoon fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoon pomegranate molasses
- 1/2 cup (125ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoon small fresh mint leaves, extra
- 1Preheat oven to 220°C (200°C fan forced).
- 2Cook soaked barley in a large saucepan of boiling water for 25 minutes or until tender, drain. Rinse under cold water, drain well.
- 3Meanwhile, combine pumpkin, olive oil and cumin seeds on a large oven tray, season. Bake for 20 minutes or until tender and beginning to brown around edges.
- 4Remove rind from oranges with a zester, into long thin strips. Segment oranges over a bowl to catch the juices reserve 2 tablespoons of juice.
- 5Place barley, pumpkin, orange segments and rind in a large bowl with chickpeas, nuts, seeds, cherries and herbs. Combine reserved juice, pomegranate molasses and extra virgin olive oil in a small jug. Drizzle dressing over salad, season to taste, toss gently to combine. Serve salad topped with extra mint.
To segment oranges, cut top and bottom from oranges with a small sharp knife. Cut remaining rind and white pith from oranges, following the curve of the fruit. Holding the oranges over a bowl, cut down both sides of the white membrane to release each segment. Squeeze membrane to release any juices into the bowl. This textural salad of grains, nuts and fruits can be eaten as a light lunch or serve it as a side dish with chicken or lamb. Grapes would make a nice alternative to the cherries. You will need to soak the barley in cold water for 3 hours before you start this recipe. Drain barley before use.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Coffee wreath (with chocolate sauce)Yesterday 1:00pm
- Roast beetroot and goat’s cheese terrineYesterday 1:00pm
- Nutella cheesecakeYesterday 1:00pm
- Turkey with apricot & hazelnut stuffingYesterday 1:00pm
- Crispy roast potatoes with rosemary saltYesterday 1:00pm
- Barbecued corn, spinach and avocado saladYesterday 1:00pm
- White Christmas sliceYesterday 12:56am
- Dark plum jamDec 04, 2019
- Oysters with pink & green mignonette dressingsDec 04, 2019
- Ice-cream Christmas pudding logDec 04, 2019
- Herb-brined turkey breast in pancettaDec 04, 2019
- Coconut banana stacked cakeDec 03, 2019
- 2-in-1 basic fruit mixDec 02, 2019
- Prawn and mango saladDec 02, 2019
- Cocktail sauceDec 02, 2019