- 3 tablespoon ghee
- 2 medium brown onions (300g), sliced thinly
- 1 1/2 cup (300g) white long-grain rice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 3/4 cup (430ml) water
- 1 teaspoon baharat
- 400 gram (12½ ounces) canned chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed, drained
- 400 gram (12½ ounces) canned brown lentils, rinsed, drained
- 1 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
- 1Heat 2 tablespoons of the ghee in large frying pan, cook onion, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes or until onion is golden brown. Drain on absorbent paper.
- 2Wash rice with cold water until water runs clear, drain well.
- 3Combine remaining ghee, rice, cinnamon, the water and baharat in 2.5-litre (10-cup) rice cooker, secure lid. COOK, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes.
- 4Add chickpeas and lentils, secure lid. COOK about 5 minutes or until cooker automatically switches to KEEP WARM, stand 10 minutes.
- 5Discard cinnamon stick. Stir in parsley, season to taste. Serve rice topped with fried onion.
Baharat, an aromatic spice blend, includes some or all of the following: mixed spice, black pepper, allspice, dried chilli flakes, cinnamon, coriander seeds, paprika, clove, sumac, nutmeg, cumin seeds and cardamom seeds. It is used throughout the Middle East; here, it is often sold as "lebanese seven-spice", and can be found in MiddleEastern food stores, some delicatessens and specialist food stores.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Lamb shanksMay 26, 2022
- Ham and cheese croquettesMay 26, 2022
- Slow-cooked bologneseMay 26, 2022
- Basil, chickpea and vegetable stewMay 26, 2022
- 28 easy ways with bologneseMay 26, 2022
- Individual chocolate self-saucing puddingsMay 26, 2022
- Cauliflower parmigianaMay 26, 2022
- Classic lemon cheesecakeMay 26, 2022
- 30 fabulous fish curriesMay 26, 2022
- Red velvet cakeMay 26, 2022
- Mulled wineMay 26, 2022
- Silverbeet omelette with capsicum saladMay 26, 2022
- Spiced semolina and almond halvaMay 26, 2022
- 26 things you can make with a bottle of red wineMay 25, 2022
- Flourless orange & white chocolate cakeMay 25, 2022