- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1.8 kg whole chicken
- 1 large brown onion (200g), sliced thickly
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 800 grams baby potatoes, halved
- ½ cup (125ml) chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 cup (120g) seeded green olives
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh coriander (cilantro)
- 1 tablespoon finely sliced preserved lemon rind (see tip)
- 1Heat half the oil in a 4.5-litre (18-cup) slow cooker on sear (HIGH) setting. Rub combined cinnamon, cumin and coriander all over chicken. Cook chicken, turning, for 20 minutes, or until well browned all over. Remove from cooker.
- 2Heat remaining oil in cooker on sauté (MEDIUM) setting; cook onion, garlic, ginger, chilli and turmeric, stirring, for 5 minutes or until onion softens. Add potatoes; cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until browned. Add stock. Place chicken on top of potatoes; drizzle with honey. Cook, covered, on low, for 8 hours.
- 3Carefully remove chicken from cooker; cover to keep warm. Add olives and juice to potato mixture in cooker. Season to taste.
- 4Cut chicken into pieces. Serve chicken with potatoes and sauce mixture; sprinkled with combined herbs and rind.
Preserved lemons are available from delicatessens, specialty food shops and large supermarkets. Use the rind only; discard the flesh and rinse the rind well under cold water before using.Accompany with chickpeas and steamed couscous.
Not suitable to freeze.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Roast chicken with preserved lemonJun 23, 2022
- Our unbeatable lemon curd recipeJun 23, 2022
- Sticky date pudding with butterscotch sauceJun 23, 2022
- Chilli beef with cornbread dumplingsJun 23, 2022
- Lamb shank shepherd's pieJun 23, 2022
- Lemon butter almond sliceJun 23, 2022
- Savoury minceJun 23, 2022
- Traditional minestroneJun 23, 2022
- Banana and cinnamon muffinsJun 23, 2022
- Crunchy low-gi barsJun 23, 2022
- 25 beautiful banana cakesJun 23, 2022
- Express pizza doughJun 23, 2022
- Ricotta gnocchi in fresh tomato sauceJun 23, 2022
- Beef and cheese pieJun 23, 2022
- Chocolate and raspberry tartsJun 23, 2022