- 1 bunch fresh coriander (cilantro) (100g), stalks and leaves separated
- 2 limes (130g)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- ⅔ cup (160ml) olive oil
- 8 small chicken thigh fillets (800g)
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 fresh large red chilli, chopped finely
- 1 small fennel bulb (200g), fronds reserved
- 1 small bunch red radishes (230g), leaves attached
- ¼ small red cabbage (300g), sliced thinly
- 1 small red onion (100g), sliced thinly
- 2 medium avocados (500g), sliced
- 3 x 15cm (6-inch) stale corn tortillas, cut into strips
- 1Finely chop coriander roots and stalks; reserve leaves. Finely grate lime rind; squeeze juice, reserve for dressing.
- 2Combine chopped coriander stalks and roots, rind, cumin, oregano and ⅓ cup (80ml) olive oil in a large bowl; add chicken, toss to coat. Season.
- 3Place garlic, chilli, reserved lemon juice and 2 tablespoons of the remaining oil in a small bowl. Season to taste.
- 4Use a mandoline or V-slicer to thinly slice fennel. Trim radishes, reserving any crisp leaves. Thinly slice radishes. Place fennel, reserved fennel fronds, radishes and leaves in a large bowl with cabbage, red onion, avocado and reserved coriander leaves. Drizzle dressing over salad; toss gently to combine.
- 5Heat remaining oil in a large frying pan over high heat; cook tortilla strips, stirring, for 2 minutes, or until golden and crisp. Drain on paper towel.
- 6Heat same pan over high heat; cook chicken, in two batches, for 3 minutes each side or until golden and cooked through. Slice thickly.
- 7Serve chicken and tortilla strips with salad.
Wash coriander roots to remove any dirt or grit. Chicken can be marinated up to a day ahead, in the refrigerator.Why it's sustainable... Chicken thighs are a secondary cut. This recipe uses all parts of the radish and coriander bunches, and stale tortillas.Save any fennel stalks to use in a fish or chicken stock.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Princess-themed birthday cakesYesterday 4:28am
- Over-the-top chocolate and macadamia browniesJun 27, 2022
- 11 mouth-watering jaffles for lunchJun 27, 2022
- 22 vegetarian lasagne recipesJun 27, 2022
- Gluten-free raspberry and lemon syrup cakeJun 27, 2022
- Our best spaghetti bologneseJun 26, 2022
- Traditional Greek recipesJun 26, 2022
- 29 brilliant ways with broccoliniJun 26, 2022
- Classic beef lasagneJun 26, 2022
- Roast beef with yorkshire puddingsJun 26, 2022
- 27 gluten-free dinnersJun 26, 2022
- Cheesy smoked baked beans with pumpkinJun 26, 2022