- ¼ cup (60ml) olive oil
- 2 kg chicken thigh fillets, cut into pieces
- 4 onions (600g), sliced thinly
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 3 teaspoons ground coriander
- 3 teaspoons ground ginger
- 3 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon chilli powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 cups (750ml) chicken stock
- ¾ cup (105g) pitted dates, halved
- ¼ cup (90g) honey
- ¾ cup (120g) blanched almonds, roasted, chopped coarsely
- fresh coriander sprigs, to serve (optional)
- 1Heat half the oil in a 7 litre (28-cup) cast iron or other flameproof casserole dish (see tips) over medium-high heat. Cook chicken, in batches, stirring, for 5 minutes or until browned all over; transfer each batch chicken to a large bowl.
- 2Heat remaining oil in same dish; cook onion, garlic, seeds and spices, stirring, for 5 minutes or until onion softens. Return chicken to dish, then add stock and 1½ cups (375ml) water; bring to a simmer.
- 3Cook, covered, over low heat for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Remove lid; cook, uncovered, over low-medium heat for a further 30 minutes or until sauce thickens slightly and chicken is tender. Stir in dates and honey.
- 4Serve half the chicken tagine topped with almonds and coriander (see > serve it). Transfer remaining chicken tagine to an airtight container; cool, then store (see > store it).
We used a 25cm x 33cm (10in x 13¼in) oval cast iron casserole dish.
The quantity of blanched almonds is enough for the served chicken tagine.
Use the same amount again when serving the stored portion.
> serve it Serve with couscous prepared according to packet directions or one of the couscous side dishes on pages 126 & 127.
> store it Refrigerate chicken tagine for up to 2 days. Freeze for
up to 3 months; thaw in the fridge, then reheat in a microwave.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Sushi riceYesterday 2:00pm
- All the classic curry recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Chicken, bacon and mushroom stewYesterday 2:00pm
- Basic butter cakeYesterday 2:00pm
- Perfect pork curry recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Curried pork rissolesYesterday 2:00pm
- Pancake recipesApr 12, 2021
- Carrot and lentil soup with coriander pestoApr 11, 2021
- Healthy banana breadApr 11, 2021
- Pumpkin soupApr 11, 2021
- Vegetarian chilli beansApr 11, 2021
- Rösti cottage pieApr 11, 2021
- Very vegetarian Mexican recipesApr 11, 2021
- Roast beefApr 11, 2021
- Spicy Mexican soup with chickenApr 11, 2021