Chicken taco salad
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 x 200g (6½-ounce) chicken breast fillets
- 3 taco shells (33g)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, extra
- 1 avocado (320g)
- 1 red capsicum (bell pepper) (150g)
- 2 roma (egg) tomatoes (150g)
- 1 lime (90g)
- 80 gram (2½ ounces) mesclun leaves
- 1/2 cup (120g) light sour cream
- 1 1/2 tablespoon sweet chilli sauce
Chicken taco salad
- 1Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F.
- 2Mix the ground cumin, cumin seeds, paprika and oil in a medium bowl; add the chicken. Use your hands to rub the cumin mixture all over the chicken; season with salt and pepper. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap; refrigerate while preparing tacos.
- 3Put the tacos on an oven tray and bake according to the instructions on the packet. Cool the tacos on the tray before you touch them, then break into 3cm (1¼-inch) pieces.
- 4Heat a large ovenproof frying pan on the stove over medium- high heat. Pour the extra oil into the pan, then add the chicken. Cook the chicken about 5 minutes on each side or until browned. Put the pan in the oven and roast for about 10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- 5Using oven mitts, take the pan out of the oven and use tongs to transfer the chicken to a chopping board. When cool enough to handle, cut the chicken into 1cm (½-inch) slices. Cover the chicken with foil to keep it warm.
- 6Cut the avocado in half from top to bottom. Place the half with the seed on a board; use a teaspoon to scoop out the seed. Use a large spoon to scoop the avocado flesh out of the skin in one piece; slice flesh thinly.
- 7Cut the capsicum into quarters; cut out the seeds and membranes. Slice capsicum and tomatoes thinly.
- 8Juice the lime. Put avocado, capsicum, tomato, lime juice and the mesclun in a large bowl; mix well. Add the chicken slices and taco pieces; mix gently.
- 9To make the dressing, mix the sour cream and the sauce in a small bowl. Serve the salad immediately, accompanied with the dressing.
If you don't have a frying pan that can go in the oven, take the chicken out of the pan and put it on an oven tray before roasting in the oven.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Cheese and silverbeet borekYesterday 2:00pm
- 42 perfect puddingsYesterday 2:00pm
- 39 amazing avocado recipes that are more than just guac or smashYesterday 12:59am
- 35 very vegetarian pumpkin recipesJun 28, 2022
- 44 perfect pumpkin recipesJun 28, 2022
- 41 creative ideas with cabbageJun 28, 2022
- 26 easy chicken pasta recipesJun 28, 2022
- Chicken and fennel tray bakeJun 28, 2022
- Soft polentaJun 28, 2022
- Shaved cabbage with pecorino balsamicJun 28, 2022
- Princess-themed birthday cakesJun 28, 2022
- Over-the-top chocolate and macadamia browniesJun 27, 2022