This healthy dinner bowl with brown rice, grilled chicken, avocado, kale and brussel sprouts served with fresh tzatziki dressing for a nuritious meal
Wholegrains, like the brown rice in this recipe, are a major component of Mediterranean cooking, offering multiple health benefits. They are great plant sources of protein and fibre, and also contain a range of vitamins, minerals, and phytochemicals that improve your health.
Looking for more healthy food bowls?
- ⅓ cup (80ml) extra virgin olive oil, plus 1 tablespoon extra
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 x 250g (8oz) packets microwave brown rice
- 600 grams brussels sprouts, trimmed, halved
- 60 grams baby kale leaves
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 600 grams chicken breast fillets
- 2 medium avocados (500g), halved
- ⅓ cup (65g) pepitas (pumpkin seed kernels), toasted
- 2 lebanese cucumbers (340g), seeded, grated coarsely
- ½ teaspoon sea salt flakes
- 1 cup (280g) greek yoghurt
- 1 small clove garlic, crushed
- 3 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1½ tablespoons finely chopped fresh dill, plus extra Sprigs to serve
- 1Make tzatziki. Combine cucumber and salt in a bowl; refrigerate for 20 minutes. Drain cucumber in a colander; squeeze out excess liquid. Transfer to a clean bowl. Add remaining ingredients; stir to combine. Season to taste.
- 2Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat; cook garlic for 30 seconds. Add rice; cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until starting to crisp. Transfer rice mixture to a bowl; season to taste. Cover to keep warm.
- 3Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in same pan; cook brussels sprouts, turning occasionally, for 5 minutes or until charred and tender. Add kale leaves; stir until wilted. Remove from pan; cover to keep warm.
- 4Combine paprika and remaining oil in a large bowl; season. Add chicken; turn to coat. Heat extra oil in same pan over high heat; cook chicken, in batches, for 4 minutes each side or until cooked through. Remove from pan; slice thickly.
- 5Divide rice among serving bowls; top with kale and brussels sprouts, avocado and pepitas, then chicken. Spoon over tzaztiki; sprinkle with extra dill.
For extra fibre and protein add a 400g can brown lentils, drained and rinsed, to the rice mixture.This recipe is best made just before serving.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 46 creative ways with carrotsYesterday 2:00pm
- Mushroom soupYesterday 2:00pm
- Gluten free shortcrust pastryAug 10, 2022
- Gluten-free chocolate and almond biscuitsAug 10, 2022
- Air fryer potato gratinAug 10, 2022
- Gluten free cornflake and honey sconesAug 10, 2022
- Italian meatballsAug 10, 2022
- How to sterilise and seal glass jarsAug 10, 2022
- Cumquat ginger marmaladeAug 10, 2022
- 4-ingredient triple choc browniesAug 09, 2022
- 46 sweet slice recipesAug 09, 2022
- How to cook pastaAug 08, 2022
- Chicken carbonara baked pastaAug 08, 2022