- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1.8 kilogram chicken thigh fillets, trimmed, quartered
- 6 rindless bacon slices (375g), chopped coarsely
- 50 gram butter
- 3 medium leeks (1kg), trimmed, sliced thinly
- 3 stalks celery (450g), trimmed, sliced thinly
- 3 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/4 cup fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 2 tablespoon plain flour
- 1 3/4 cup (375ml) dry white wine
- 1 3/4 cup (375ml) chicken stock
- 400 gram button mushrooms, halved
- 1/3 cup (60ml) pouring cream
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsely
- 1Preheat oven to 160°C/325°F.
- 2Heat oil in a 6.75 litre (27-cup) cast iron or other flameproof casserole dish (see tip) over high heat. Cook chicken in batches, turning, for 5 minutes or until browned all over; transfer each batch to a large bowl.
- 3Add bacon to dish; cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until browned lightly. Add butter and leek; cook, stirring occasionally, for 4 minutes or until leek softens. Stir in celery, garlic, thyme and bay leaves. Stir in flour, then wine and stock; bring to the boil, stirring.
- 4Return chicken to dish with mushrooms. Cover with a tight-fitting lid. Transfer to oven; cook, covered, for 45 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- 5Return dish to stove top, remove lid and discard bay leaves; simmer over medium heat until sauce thickens slightly. Stir in cream; simmer for 5 minutes or until heated through.
- 6Serve half the chicken fricassee topped with parsley (see > serve it). Transfer remaining chicken fricassee to an airtight container; cool, then store (see > store it).
We used a 28cm round cast iron casserole dish.Serve it Serve with your favourite pasta or, if you prefer, one of the mash side dishes and steamed broccolini.Store it Refrigerate chicken fricassee in an airtight container for up to 2 days. Freeze for up to 3 months; thaw in the fridge, then reheat in a microwave.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 46 creative ways with carrotsYesterday 2:00pm
- Mushroom soupYesterday 2:00pm
- Gluten free shortcrust pastryAug 10, 2022
- Gluten-free chocolate and almond biscuitsAug 10, 2022
- Air fryer potato gratinAug 10, 2022
- Gluten free cornflake and honey sconesAug 10, 2022
- Italian meatballsAug 10, 2022
- How to sterilise and seal glass jarsAug 10, 2022
- Cumquat ginger marmaladeAug 10, 2022
- 4-ingredient triple choc browniesAug 09, 2022
- 46 sweet slice recipesAug 09, 2022
- How to cook pastaAug 08, 2022
- Chicken carbonara baked pastaAug 08, 2022