This green chicken masala recipe is an authentic and healthy curry recipe with a hearty kick of chilli. Packed with fresh flavours and spinach.
Looki for more chicken curry recipes?
- 2 bunches fresh coriander (130g), roots, stems and leaves chopped coarsely
- 1 1 cup loosely packed fresh mint leaves
- 120 grams baby spinach leaves
- 1 fresh jalapeño chilli (25g), seeds removed, chopped coarsely
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup (60ml) lemon juice
- 1/2 cup (125ml) water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium brown onion (150g), sliced thickly
- 8 small skinless chicken thigh fillets (1.2kg)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup (250ml) canned coconut cream
- 40 grams (1½ ounces) baby spinach leaves, extra
- 1/3 cup (25g) natural flaked almonds, roasted
- 1 medium lime (90g), cut into wedges
- 1Reserve a handful of coriander leaves and mint leaves for serving. Blend or process remaining coriander and mint with spinach, chilli, garlic, juice and the water until smooth.
- 2Heat oil in a large deep frying pan over medium-high heat; cook onion, stirring, for 5 minutes or until starting to brown. Add chicken; cook for 5 minutes or until chicken is browned on both sides. Add spices; cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- 3Stir in coriander puree and coconut cream; bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until sauce thickens slightly and chicken is cooked through. Season to taste.
- 4Serve curry topped with extra spinach leaves, reserved coriander and mint, almonds and lime wedges.
This is a great sauce for a vegetable curry. In step 3, add chunky chopped vegetables such as pumpkin, potato, sweet potato (kumara) or cauliflower and drained and rinsed chickpeas (garbanzo beans) or lentils. Simmer until vegetables are tender.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 13 delicious chicken drumstick ideasYesterday 2:00pm
- Super-simple chicken parmigianaYesterday 2:00pm
- Veal braciole with rice and peasYesterday 2:00pm
- Chicken carbonara baked pastaYesterday 2:00pm
- Beef mince and rice burritosYesterday 3:11am
- Creative ways with celeriacAug 07, 2022
- Beef and lentil curryAug 07, 2022
- Gluten-free peanut butter cookiesAug 07, 2022
- Apple streusel sliceAug 07, 2022
- 22 cost effective meals using mince and riceAug 07, 2022
- Lemon deliciousAug 07, 2022
- Salsa verdeAug 06, 2022
- Potatoes with lemon and tomatoAug 05, 2022
- Popcorn butterscotch squaresAug 05, 2022