- 100 gram butter, softened
- 3 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
- 2 tablespoon finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoon finely chopped chives
- 4 chicken breast fillets (800g)
- 1/3 cup (50g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 2 eggs, beaten lightly
- 2 cup (140g) panko (japanese) breadcrumbs
- vegetable oil, for deep frying
- mashed potato, to serve
- steamed asparagus, to serve
- lemon wedges, to serve
- 1Combine butter, garlic, rind, parsley and chives in a small bowl; beat with a wooden spoon until combined. Spoon mixture onto a piece of plastic wrap, shape into a 20cm log; wrap tightly, freeze until firm.
- 2Cut chicken fillets in half horizontally almost all the way through. Open out fillets, place between sheets of plastic wrap and gently pound with a meat mallet until 1cm thick.
- 3Cut butter log into 4 pieces; place a piece of butter at one end of a fillet. Roll once, fold in sides, roll up. Toss chicken roll in flour; dip in egg, then roll in crumbs. Repeat to make a total of 4 rolls. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- 4Heat oil in a medium saucepan to 160°C (or until a cube of bread turns golden in 30 seconds). Deep-fry chicken, in two batches, for 10 minutes or until golden and cooked through. Drain well on paper towel.
- 5Serve chicken kiev with steamed asparagus, mashed potato and lemon wedges.
This recipe can also be made into ‘chicken cordon bleu’ - chicken filled with ham and cheese. After the fillets have been cut in half horizontally almost all the way through, place a piece of swiss cheese and smoked ham into the opening, secure closed with toothpicks. Continue crumbing the chicken fillets before shallow-frying.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Kale recipes you'll go crazy forToday 6:49am
- Cauliflower 'fried rice' with mushrooms and hamToday 3:49am
- Cauliflower recipesYesterday 11:29pm
- Easy Danish pastriesYesterday 2:00pm
- Our best brussels sprouts recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Lamb and spinach samosasYesterday 2:00pm
- White sauceYesterday 2:00pm
- Garibaldi sliceYesterday 2:00pm
- 22 marvellous muffin recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Creamed corn and bacon cob loafSep 25, 2020
- Delicious dessert recipes with ricottaSep 24, 2020
- Spiced beef nachosSep 24, 2020
- Curried sausagesSep 24, 2020
- 25 sweet strawberry dessert recipesSep 24, 2020
- Stuffed capsicumSep 24, 2020
- 20 hearty, healthy soups to enjoySep 24, 2020