Chicken fried rice
- 2 tablespoon peanut or vegetable oil
- 2 eggs, beaten lightly
- 4 chicken thigh fillets (800g), sliced thinly
- 1/2 medium red capsicum (100g), sliced thinly
- 1 small red onion (100g), sliced thinly
- 2 cup (160g) coarsely chopped cabbage
- 150 gram oyster mushrooms, chopped coarsley
- 3 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- 2 250g packaged 90-second microwave white basmati rice
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 green onions, sliced thinly
- 1/4 cup (60ml) sweet chilli sauce
- 2 tablespoon fresh coriander leaves
Chicken fried rice
- 1Heat 1 teaspoon of the oil in a large wok over high heat. Pour egg into wok; cook, tilting wok, until omelette is just set. Remove omelette from wok; chop coarsely.
- 2Heat 3 teaspoons of the remaining oil in wok; stir-fry chicken for 2 minutes or until browned. Remove from wok.
- 3Heat remaining oil in wok; stir-fry capsicum, half the onion, cabbage, mushrooms, garlic and chilli for 3 minutes or until vegetables soften.
- 4Return chicken and egg to wok with rice, sesame oil, soy sauce, onion and 2 tablespoons of the sweet chilli sauce; stir-fry until heated through. (Taste and add extra soy sauce if desired.)
- 5Serve rice, drizzled with remaining sweet chilli sauce and sprinkled with coriander and remaining onion.
If you'd prefer to cook your own rice, do it several hours ahead or the day before. You will need to cook 1 cup of rice, following the packet directions, to yield 3 cups of cooked rice, the equivalent quantity of the packaged rice in the recipe. Spread the cooked rice in a single layer over a tray, cover and refrigerate until needed. Replace the capsicum, cabbage and mushrooms with other vegetables you have on hand; simply ensure that they are cut into thin slices. You can sprinkle the rice with asian fried shallots for added texture, if you like.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Easy hot cross bunsYesterday 5:00pm
- Cream-free spaghetti carbonaraMar 14, 2019
- Goan fish curry with low-carb cauliflower riceMar 13, 2019
- Low-carb turkey and kale lasagneMar 13, 2019
- Mega mushroom burgersMar 13, 2019
- Fennel, lemon, pea & prawn risottoMar 11, 2019
- Spinach and ricotta-stuffed chicken parmigianaMar 11, 2019
- Sweet potato pizza with fig and pancettaMar 11, 2019
- Lamington popsMar 06, 2019
- Can you eat meat on Ash Wednesday?Mar 05, 2019
- Whole cauliflower with creme fraiche dressingMar 04, 2019
- Subscribe to Women's Weekly FOODMar 02, 2019
- Tomato cheesecakes with green olivesFeb 28, 2019
- Prawn and vegetable japanese hash brownsFeb 28, 2019