Chicken fillo pie
- 500 gram (1 pound) chicken breast fillets, halved
- 500 gram (1 pound) chicken thigh fillets, halved
- 3 cup (750ml) salt-reduced chicken stock
- 80 gram (2½ ounces) butter, chopped
- 1 brown onion (80g), chopped finely
- 1/3 cup (50g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 200 gram (6½ ounces) feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup finely chopped dill
- 1/4 cup finely chopped mint
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 eggs, beaten lightly
- 8 (sheets) filo pastry
- 1/4 cup (60ml) olive oil
Chicken filo pie
- 1Place chicken and stock in medium saucepan; bring to simmer. Simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes. Remove from heat; cover, stand 15 minutes. Remove chicken from stock. Chop chicken coarsely; strain, reserve 2 cups of the stock. Keep remaining stock for another use.
- 2Melt butter in medium saucepan; cook onion, stirring, until onion softens. Add flour; cook, stirring, 1 minute. Gradually stir in hot reserved stock; cook, stirring, over medium heat until mixture boils and thickens. Remove from heat; cool 15 minutes.
- 3Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F. Oil 24cm (9½-inch) springform tin.
- 4Place chicken and sauce mixture in large bowl, combine with cheese, herbs, nutmeg and egg; season.
- 5Brush 1 sheet of pastry with oil; top with remaining sheets, brushing each with oil. Line tin with pastry; pour in chicken filling. Roll edges of pastry and tuck down side of tin.
- 6Bake pie about 1¼ hours or until browned and set. Stand pie in tin 15 minutes before serving.
Remaining chicken stock can be used in soups, sauces and casseroles. If not using within 3 days, freeze.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Lamb shanksMay 26, 2022
- Ham and cheese croquettesMay 26, 2022
- Slow-cooked bologneseMay 26, 2022
- Basil, chickpea and vegetable stewMay 26, 2022
- 28 easy ways with bologneseMay 26, 2022
- Individual chocolate self-saucing puddingsMay 26, 2022
- Cauliflower parmigianaMay 26, 2022
- Classic lemon cheesecakeMay 26, 2022
- 30 fabulous fish curriesMay 26, 2022
- Red velvet cakeMay 26, 2022
- Mulled wineMay 26, 2022
- Silverbeet omelette with capsicum saladMay 26, 2022
- Spiced semolina and almond halvaMay 26, 2022
- 26 things you can make with a bottle of red wineMay 25, 2022
- Flourless orange & white chocolate cakeMay 25, 2022