Chicken fillo pie
- 500 gram (1 pound) chicken breast fillets, halved
- 500 gram (1 pound) chicken thigh fillets, halved
- 3 cup (750ml) salt-reduced chicken stock
- 80 gram (2½ ounces) butter, chopped
- 1 brown onion (80g), chopped finely
- 1/3 cup (50g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 200 gram (6½ ounces) feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup finely chopped dill
- 1/4 cup finely chopped mint
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 eggs, beaten lightly
- 8 (sheets) filo pastry
- 1/4 cup (60ml) olive oil
Chicken filo pie
- 1Place chicken and stock in medium saucepan; bring to simmer. Simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes. Remove from heat; cover, stand 15 minutes. Remove chicken from stock. Chop chicken coarsely; strain, reserve 2 cups of the stock. Keep remaining stock for another use.
- 2Melt butter in medium saucepan; cook onion, stirring, until onion softens. Add flour; cook, stirring, 1 minute. Gradually stir in hot reserved stock; cook, stirring, over medium heat until mixture boils and thickens. Remove from heat; cool 15 minutes.
- 3Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F. Oil 24cm (9½-inch) springform tin.
- 4Place chicken and sauce mixture in large bowl, combine with cheese, herbs, nutmeg and egg; season.
- 5Brush 1 sheet of pastry with oil; top with remaining sheets, brushing each with oil. Line tin with pastry; pour in chicken filling. Roll edges of pastry and tuck down side of tin.
- 6Bake pie about 1¼ hours or until browned and set. Stand pie in tin 15 minutes before serving.
Remaining chicken stock can be used in soups, sauces and casseroles. If not using within 3 days, freeze.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- RatatouilleToday 6:11am
- Sugar-free recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Easy cheesecake slicesYesterday 2:00pm
- 20 traditional Australian recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Dark and dreamy chocolate cakeYesterday 2:00pm
- Melting momentsAug 09, 2020
- Chai-roasted pumpkin soup with honey walnutsAug 09, 2020
- 20 Australian biscuits from our childhoodsAug 09, 2020
- Lemon curd and poppy seed crêpe cakeAug 09, 2020
- 15 sweet and savoury scrollsAug 09, 2020
- White sauceAug 09, 2020
- Beef stroganoffAug 09, 2020
- Yorkshire puddings with gravyAug 09, 2020
- How to make basic sconesAug 09, 2020
- 20 ways with lemon curdAug 09, 2020