- 1/2 (800g) chicken
- 1 medium (120g) carrot, halved
- 1 small (80g) brown onion, halved
- 1 (150g) stalk celery, trimmed, halved
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 2 litre (8 cups) water
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 cup (200g) jasmine rice
- 4 centimetre (20g) (1½-inch) piece fresh ginger, grated
- 1 green onion (scallion), sliced thinly
- 1 fresh long red chilli, sliced thinly
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1Make chicken stock. Combine ingredients in 6-litre (24-cup) pressure cooker, secure lid. Bring cooker to high pressure. Reduce heat to stabilise pressure, cook 15 minutes (see tips for electric pressure-cooker instructions). Release pressure using the quick release method, remove lid. Strain stock into a large heatproof bowl. Reserve chicken, discard vegetables and pepper. Discard skin and bones from chicken, shred meat coarsely.
- 2Heat oil in 6-litre (24-cup) pressure cooker, cook rice, stirring, 2 minutes. Return stock to the cooker and add ginger, then secure lid. Bring cooker to high pressure. Reduce heat to stabilise pressure; cook 10 minutes.
- 3Release pressure using the quick release method, remove lid. Stir shredded chicken into cooker, and allow to warm up. Serve congee topped with onion, chilli and sauce.
If you have an electric pressure cooker you won't need to reduce the heat to stabilise pressure,your cooker will automatically stabilise itself.
Always check with the manufacturer's instructions before using. If making chicken stock for another recipe where you only need the stock, use chicken necks, wings and backs instead. The stock will keep refrigerated for up to 1 week, or frozen for up to 2 months.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 28 mango recipes for dessertOct 21, 2021
- 13 Spooky Halloween recipesOct 21, 2021
- Seeded pumpkin breadOct 21, 2021
- Apple crumbleOct 21, 2021
- Santorini tomato frittersOct 21, 2021
- Zucchini primavera with poached eggsOct 21, 2021
- Gluten-free banana breadOct 21, 2021
- Fresh tomato pizzettasOct 21, 2021
- Basic hummusOct 20, 2021
- Custard tartOct 20, 2021
- Our best hummus recipesOct 20, 2021
- Roti canai flatbreadOct 20, 2021
- Peaches and cream pieOct 20, 2021
- Our classic pavlova recipeOct 20, 2021