- 1.5 kilogram chicken thigh fillets
- 2 tablespoon plain (all-purpose) flour
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 20 gram butter
- 1 large_piece (200g) brown onion, chopped coarsely
- 2 medium_piece (240g) carrots, sliced thickly
- 2 (300g) stalks celery, trimmed, chopped coarsely
- 2 clove garlic, chopped finely
- 2 cup (500ml) chicken stock
- 2 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 medium_piece (750g) celeriac (celery root) , chopped coarsely
- 2 cup (300g) frozen broad beans (fava beans)
- 1/2 cup (50g) walnuts, roasted, chopped coarsely
- 1/4 cup pale celery leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1Toss chicken in flour to coat, shake off excess. Reserve excess flour. Heat oil in a large frying pan, cook chicken, in batches, until browned. Remove from pan. Wipe pan with absorbent paper.
- 2Heat butter in same pan, cook onion, carrot and celery, stirring, until softened. Add garlic, cook, stirring, until fragrant. Stir in reserved excess flour, then stock and mustard, stir over high heat until mixture boils and thickens.
- 3Place celeriac in a 4.5-litre (18-cup) slow cooker, top with chicken then onion mixture. Cook, covered, on high, 3 hours.
- 4Meanwhile, place broad beans in a medium heatproof bowl, cover with boiling water, stand 2 minutes, drain. Peel away grey skins.
- 5Add broad beans to cooker, cook, covered, on high, 30 minutes. Season to taste.
- 6Roast the walnuts, in a preheated 180°C (160°C fan forced) oven, for 5 minutes or until browned lightly.
- 7Serve sprinkled with nuts and celery leaves.
To freeze Complete the recipe to the end of step 3. Pack into freezer-proof containers, leaving a 2.5cm (1 inch) space to allow for expansion. Seal, label and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge. Reheat in a saucepan or microwave on medium power (50%) until heated through, then continue from step 4.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Easy combination fried riceYesterday 3:00am
- Chocolate chip cookiesYesterday 1:21am
- Pulled salmon tortillas with red cabbage slawJun 20, 2021
- Corned beef and red cabbage sandwichJun 20, 2021
- Potato and leek soupJun 20, 2021
- Spaghetti carbonara with peasJun 20, 2021
- Our best brussels sprouts recipesJun 20, 2021
- Miso noodle hotpotJun 20, 2021
- Cheesy polenta and sausage bakeJun 20, 2021
- Mini chicken and leek piesJun 20, 2021
- Savoury pie recipes that will feed the familyJun 20, 2021
- Easy risotto recipesJun 19, 2021
- Our best pancakes recipeJun 19, 2021
- 23 luscious lamb recipes for your slow cookerJun 19, 2021
- Indian roasted tomatoes, chickpeas and chilliJun 19, 2021