- 1.5 kilogram chicken thigh fillets
- 2 tablespoon plain (all-purpose) flour
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 20 gram butter
- 1 large_piece (200g) brown onion, chopped coarsely
- 2 medium_piece (240g) carrots, sliced thickly
- 2 (300g) stalks celery, trimmed, chopped coarsely
- 2 clove garlic, chopped finely
- 2 cup (500ml) chicken stock
- 2 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 medium_piece (750g) celeriac (celery root) , chopped coarsely
- 2 cup (300g) frozen broad beans (fava beans)
- 1/2 cup (50g) walnuts, roasted, chopped coarsely
- 1/4 cup pale celery leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1Toss chicken in flour to coat, shake off excess. Reserve excess flour. Heat oil in a large frying pan, cook chicken, in batches, until browned. Remove from pan. Wipe pan with absorbent paper.
- 2Heat butter in same pan, cook onion, carrot and celery, stirring, until softened. Add garlic, cook, stirring, until fragrant. Stir in reserved excess flour, then stock and mustard, stir over high heat until mixture boils and thickens.
- 3Place celeriac in a 4.5-litre (18-cup) slow cooker, top with chicken then onion mixture. Cook, covered, on high, 3 hours.
- 4Meanwhile, place broad beans in a medium heatproof bowl, cover with boiling water, stand 2 minutes, drain. Peel away grey skins.
- 5Add broad beans to cooker, cook, covered, on high, 30 minutes. Season to taste.
- 6Roast the walnuts, in a preheated 180°C (160°C fan forced) oven, for 5 minutes or until browned lightly.
- 7Serve sprinkled with nuts and celery leaves.
To freeze Complete the recipe to the end of step 3. Pack into freezer-proof containers, leaving a 2.5cm (1 inch) space to allow for expansion. Seal, label and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge. Reheat in a saucepan or microwave on medium power (50%) until heated through, then continue from step 4.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 26 easy chicken pasta recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Princess-themed birthday cakesYesterday 4:28am
- Over-the-top chocolate and macadamia browniesJun 27, 2022
- 11 mouth-watering jaffles for lunchJun 27, 2022
- 22 vegetarian lasagne recipesJun 27, 2022
- Gluten-free raspberry and lemon syrup cakeJun 27, 2022
- Our best spaghetti bologneseJun 26, 2022
- Traditional Greek recipesJun 26, 2022
- 29 brilliant ways with broccoliniJun 26, 2022
- Roast beef with yorkshire puddingsJun 26, 2022
- 27 gluten-free dinnersJun 26, 2022
- Classic beef lasagneJun 26, 2022