- size 14 free-range chicken
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon tandoori spice mix
- 200 millilitre apple juice
- 150 millilitre apple cider
- limes to serve (optional)
Tandoori spice mix
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds, toasted
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds, toasted
- 1 tablespoon peppercorns, toasted
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1Preheat a charcoal barbecue (lid on). Brush chicken with olive oil, then rub inside and out with sea salt and tandoori spice mix.
- 2Clean an empty baked bean can (or similar) and fill about with apple juice, then top up with apple cider. Carefully insert the can into the cavity of the chicken and put the whole lot upright into the preheated BBQ. Cook with the lid on for 35-40 minutes.
- 3Check the chicken juices by piercing the flesh to make sure they run clear. If they are still pink, give it another 5-10 minutes. Allow the chicken to rest for about 5-10 minutes.
- 4Serve with limes, kumara whip, slaw and plum soda.
Tandoori spice mix
- 5Blitz or crush the ingredients together until fine.
Tender, succulent, juicy chicken – who could resist? The little ones will love this recipe as it ticks all the boxes and with a big flavour kick, it’ll become a BBQ hit you can carry through to autumn.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Cheese and silverbeet borekYesterday 2:00pm
- 42 perfect puddingsYesterday 2:00pm
- 39 amazing avocado recipes that are more than just guac or smashYesterday 12:59am
- 35 very vegetarian pumpkin recipesJun 28, 2022
- 44 perfect pumpkin recipesJun 28, 2022
- 41 creative ideas with cabbageJun 28, 2022
- 26 easy chicken pasta recipesJun 28, 2022
- Chicken and fennel tray bakeJun 28, 2022
- Soft polentaJun 28, 2022
- Shaved cabbage with pecorino balsamicJun 28, 2022
- Princess-themed birthday cakesJun 28, 2022
- Over-the-top chocolate and macadamia browniesJun 27, 2022