The classic combination of chicken, bacon and mushroom come together in this rich stew with a flavour boost from wholegrain mustard and white wine.
Looking for more chicken casserole recipes?
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 350 grams streaky bacon slices, cut widthways into thin strips
- 12 chicken lovely legs (1.5kg)
- 2 medium leeks (700g), white part only, sliced thinly
- 400 grams button mushrooms, trimmed
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- ½ cup (125ml) dry white wine
- 2 cups (500ml) chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons wholegrain mustard
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves, plus extra to serve
- sour cream, to serve (optional)
- 1Heat oil in a 5 litre (20-cup) cast iron or other flameproof casserole dish (see tip) over medium-high heat. Cook bacon, stirring, for 5 minutes or until golden and crisp. Transfer to a large plate.
- 2Cook chicken in dish, in batches, turning, for 10 minutes or until browned all over; transfer each batch to plate with bacon.
- 3Add leek and mushrooms to dish; cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened. Add garlic and flour; cook, stirring, for 30 seconds or until mixture looks dry. Gradually stir in wine, stock, mustard and thyme. Return chicken and bacon to dish; bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low; cook, covered, for 1½ hours or until chicken is very tender. Season to taste.
- 4Serve half the chicken stew topped with extra thyme and sour cream. Transfer remaining chicken stew to an airtight container; cool, then store.
We used a 26cm round cast iron casserole dish.Serve with one of the mash side dishes or polenta.Refrigerate chicken stew in an airtight container for up to 2 days. Freeze for up to 3 months; thaw in the fridge, then reheat in a microwave.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Delicious breakfast recipes for Mother's DayMay 04, 2021
- Star anise, soy and beer-braised beef shinMay 04, 2021
- Butterfly cakesMay 04, 2021
- Bolognese pasta bakeMay 04, 2021
- Zucchini and sweet potato loafMay 04, 2021
- 33 of our slow-cooked favouritesMay 04, 2021
- Cheesy risotto ballsMay 04, 2021
- Mixed bean chilliMay 04, 2021
- Amazing Mother's Day lunch recipes for your mumMay 04, 2021
- 20 edible gift ideas for Mother's DayMay 04, 2021
- Pizza dough and basic tomato sauceMay 04, 2021
- Prawn chu chee curryMay 04, 2021
- 25 delicious chicken breast recipesMay 04, 2021
- Spanish seafood stew with aioliMay 04, 2021