Chicken, asparagus and pea casserole
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1.2 kilogram chicken thigh fillets, cut into thirds (halved if small fillets)
- 2 medium (240g) carrots, sliced thinly
- 1 medium (150g) brown onion, chopped
- 2 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/4 cup (35g) plain flour
- 3 cup (750ml) chicken stock, approximately
- 1 cup (120g) frozen baby peas
- 2 bunch (340g) asparagus, trimmed, cut into thirds
- 1Heat the oil in a large heavy-based saucepan over a medium-high heat. Add the chicken; cook until browned all over. Add the carrots, onion and garlic; cook, stirring, for about 2 minutes or until starting to soften.
- 2Add the flour; cook, stirring, until the vegetables are coated.
- 3Gradually stir in the stock until combined, adding just enough to cover the chicken and vegetables. Simmer, uncovered, for about 15 minutes or until chicken is cooked through, topping up stock if necessary. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- 4Add peas; return to the boil. Add asparagus; simmer, uncovered, for another few minutes or until the asparagus is just tender.
- 5Serve chicken casserole with mashed potato, if desired.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Stunning smoked salmon recipesToday 1:00pm
- Super-moist rich fruit cakeToday 1:00pm
- Sensational summer dessertsToday 1:00pm
- Pumpkin pieToday 1:00pm
- Classic rum ballsToday 4:29am
- Gluten-free and dairy-free steamed puddingYesterday 1:00pm
- Salmon gravlax platterYesterday 1:00pm
- Our best bruschetta recipesYesterday 1:00pm
- Spiced pumpkin pies with honey & nutsYesterday 1:00pm
- Cherry tomato and goats cheese bruschettaYesterday 1:00pm
- Sticky chicken wings with dipping sauceYesterday 1:00pm
- 13 Christmas cookies recipesYesterday 1:00pm
- Perfect barbecue prawnsYesterday 1:00pm
- Garlic breadNov 24, 2020
- Chocolate and cherry bombe alaskaNov 23, 2020
- Mouthwatering glazed Christmas ham recipesNov 23, 2020