Chicken, asparagus and pea casserole
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1.2 kilogram chicken thigh fillets, cut into thirds (halved if small fillets)
- 2 medium (240g) carrots, sliced thinly
- 1 medium (150g) brown onion, chopped
- 2 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/4 cup (35g) plain flour
- 3 cup (750ml) chicken stock, approximately
- 1 cup (120g) frozen baby peas
- 2 bunch (340g) asparagus, trimmed, cut into thirds
- 1Heat the oil in a large heavy-based saucepan over a medium-high heat. Add the chicken; cook until browned all over. Add the carrots, onion and garlic; cook, stirring, for about 2 minutes or until starting to soften.
- 2Add the flour; cook, stirring, until the vegetables are coated.
- 3Gradually stir in the stock until combined, adding just enough to cover the chicken and vegetables. Simmer, uncovered, for about 15 minutes or until chicken is cooked through, topping up stock if necessary. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- 4Add peas; return to the boil. Add asparagus; simmer, uncovered, for another few minutes or until the asparagus is just tender.
- 5Serve chicken casserole with mashed potato, if desired.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- What you can cook in your air fryerNov 30, 2021
- Christmas tree shortbreadsNov 30, 2021
- Jam shortbread snowflakesNov 30, 2021
- Lemon chickenNov 30, 2021
- Lemon chicken rissolesNov 30, 2021
- No-bake Mars Bar sliceNov 30, 2021
- White choc-mint candy cane barkNov 30, 2021
- Chocolate and cherry bombe alaskaNov 29, 2021
- Four ways with stuffingNov 29, 2021
- Festive walnut shortbreadNov 29, 2021
- 20 salad recipes to serve with Christmas lunchNov 29, 2021
- Our best-ever chicken burgerNov 29, 2021