Chicken, asparagus and pea casserole
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1.2 kilogram chicken thigh fillets, cut into thirds (halved if small fillets)
- 2 medium (240g) carrots, sliced thinly
- 1 medium (150g) brown onion, chopped
- 2 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/4 cup (35g) plain flour
- 3 cup (750ml) chicken stock, approximately
- 1 cup (120g) frozen baby peas
- 2 bunch (340g) asparagus, trimmed, cut into thirds
- 1Heat the oil in a large heavy-based saucepan over a medium-high heat. Add the chicken; cook until browned all over. Add the carrots, onion and garlic; cook, stirring, for about 2 minutes or until starting to soften.
- 2Add the flour; cook, stirring, until the vegetables are coated.
- 3Gradually stir in the stock until combined, adding just enough to cover the chicken and vegetables. Simmer, uncovered, for about 15 minutes or until chicken is cooked through, topping up stock if necessary. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- 4Add peas; return to the boil. Add asparagus; simmer, uncovered, for another few minutes or until the asparagus is just tender.
- 5Serve chicken casserole with mashed potato, if desired.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Easy combination fried riceYesterday 3:00am
- Chocolate chip cookiesYesterday 1:21am
- Pulled salmon tortillas with red cabbage slawJun 20, 2021
- Corned beef and red cabbage sandwichJun 20, 2021
- Potato and leek soupJun 20, 2021
- Spaghetti carbonara with peasJun 20, 2021
- Our best brussels sprouts recipesJun 20, 2021
- Miso noodle hotpotJun 20, 2021
- Cheesy polenta and sausage bakeJun 20, 2021
- Mini chicken and leek piesJun 20, 2021
- Savoury pie recipes that will feed the familyJun 20, 2021
- Easy risotto recipesJun 19, 2021
- Our best pancakes recipeJun 19, 2021
- 23 luscious lamb recipes for your slow cookerJun 19, 2021
- Indian roasted tomatoes, chickpeas and chilliJun 19, 2021