- 750 grams chicken thigh fillets, sliced thinly
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium leek (350g), sliced thinly
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon thyme leaves
- ½ cup (70g) slivered almonds
- ¼ cup (35g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 3 cups (750ml) chicken stock
- 445 grams (14-ounce) sheet sour cream shortcrust pastry or 2 sheets puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten lightly
- 1Preheat oven to 200°C.
- 2Season chicken. Heat oil in a 25cm (top measurement) 19cm (base measurement) large ovenproof frying pan over high heat; cook chicken, in batches, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes or until browned. Remove from pan.
- 3Add leek to same pan; cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes or until softened. Add garlic, thyme and almonds; cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant. Return chicken to pan with flour; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Gradually stir in stock; bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until thickened slightly. Season to taste; cool for 10 minutes.
- 4Trim pastry to fit top of pan. Cut pastry off-cuts into decorative shapes. Top pie with pastry shapes; brush with egg.
- 5Bake pie for 20 minutes or until pastry is golden.
The filling can be made, covered and refrigerated, up to 2 days ahead. This recipe is suitable to freeze for 3 months if made in an ovenproof dish.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Beef WellingtonToday 12:27am
- Lemon meringue pieYesterday 2:00pm
- Duxelles-filled lamb leg with roast vegetablesYesterday 2:00pm
- Cauliflower cheeseYesterday 7:00am
- Slow-cooker Thai basil and chilli chicken with cashewsYesterday 6:15am
- Roasted sumac chicken with baby vegetablesYesterday 5:15am
- Lemon drizzle cakeYesterday 4:18am
- Rhubarb and vanilla baked custardYesterday 2:44am
- Cottage pieMay 23, 2022
- Cheesy vegetable pasta bakeMay 23, 2022
- Chicken carbonara baked pastaMay 23, 2022
- Shortbread buttonsMay 23, 2022
- 20 sensational schnitzelsMay 23, 2022
- Winter vegetable bake with tahini-seed crumbleMay 23, 2022
- Italian chicken schnitzelMay 23, 2022