- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion (80g), chopped finely
- 2 stalks celery (300g), trimmed, chopped finely
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 500 grams minced chicken
- 1½ cups (105g) fresh breadcrumbs (see tip)
- 1 egg, beaten lightly
- 100 grams fetta, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon rind
- 100 grams rocket (arugula) leaves, chopped coarsely
- 3 sheets frozen puff pastry, just thawed, halved
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 tablespoon sea salt flakes
- 1Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat; cook onion, celery and garlic, stirring, for 5 minutes or until soft but not browned. Transfer mixture to a large bowl; cool to room temperature.
- 2Add chicken, breadcrumbs and egg; mix well. Add fetta, rind and rocket; mix until combined.
- 3Preheat oven to 220°C/425°F. Line three oven trays with baking paper.
- 4Divide chicken mixture into six portions; shape each portion into a log the length of the pastry. Place one log, two-thirds of the way up, on each pastry half. Brush edges with a little water. Fold pastry over filling, pressing to seal. Place logs on trays, seam-side down. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- 5Cut each log into four pieces. Score pastry four times across each roll. Combine egg yolk and milk in a small bowl; brush top of rolls liberally with egg mixture then sprinkle with sea salt.
- 6Bake rolls for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 180°C/350°F; bake for a further 10 minutes or until golden and cooked through.
Fresh breadcrumbs are best made from bread that is slightly stale, about 3 days old. If you only have fresh bread, leave the slices out on the bench for a few hours to stale. Process bread, with or without crusts, until coarse crumbs form.Sausage rolls can be prepared a day ahead and baked just before serving, or can be baked a day ahead and reheated before serving. They are also suitable to freeze for up to 3 months.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 14 banana bread recipesToday 6:48am
- Garlic prawns with sourdough toastToday 12:23am
- Tuna mornayToday 12:00am
- Our best banana breadYesterday 11:00pm
- Quiche LorraineYesterday 10:55pm
- Old-fashioned curried sausagesYesterday 9:21pm
- The best Anzac biscuit recipe of all timeYesterday 5:00pm
- Delicious stir-friesYesterday 1:00pm
- Macaroni cheeseYesterday 1:00pm
- Chilli chicken stir-fryYesterday 1:00pm
- Roast loin of porkYesterday 1:00pm
- 12 sensational san choy bow recipesYesterday 1:00pm
- Chicken satay skewers with crunchy saladYesterday 1:00pm
- Chicken schnitzelYesterday 1:00pm